cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

still confuse about LAG and non-LAG

Totardo Tobing
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using 5500 WLC. Using 2 distribution ports (port 1 and port 2). Each port connect to different switch.

Port 1 connect to port gi0/1 3750 switch.

Port 2 connect to port gi1/0/1 2960 switch.

According to this design, I should turn off the LAG right?

If I turn of the LAG, I should configure how many dynamic AP managers according to this design?

Thanks mate for helping me step by step.

25 Replies 25

Yes indeed it is .. WLC just switches packets, doesn't route ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Goerge,

WLC only examine up to L2 packet's address correct? They not examine up to L3 packet's address, correct?

WLC doesnt route ... see my other post to you ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The WLC doesn't really look at the address of the packet. If it's from a client, it puts it on the wire in the VLAN the client is in.

L2 vs L3 is for if the client roams between WLC.  L2 roam if the WLC are configured with the same VLAN and IP address.  L3 roam if the WLC are configured with different VLAN and/or IP addresses.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

In non-roaming client, my final question,

after decapsulating the capwap header, wlc is always examine the source mac-address and destination-mac address of the packet?

if destination mac-address is in the wlc's mscb then the packet will be encapsulated back with capwap header then forwarded back to the access point where the clients is attached to.

if destination mac-address isn't in the wlc's mscb then the packet will be tagged and forwarded to neighbour switch where wlc connected to via primary port of the interface that the wlan mapped to?

Its just like Steve mentioned... the wlc doesn't look at the pactet... Lets say a device associates to ssid10 which is mapped to vlan 10. The packet is encapsulated in a capwap header to the wlc. The wlc strips off the capwap header and places the packet on the dynamic interface for vlan 10. the packet is the encapsulated with a ethernet (layer 2) header and sent to the switch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

What? Scott from your post, are you saying that:

1. The WLC is never looks into L2 frame addresses? This is different to what Steve mentioned. He said that the WLC is examining the mscb first than forward the packet based on exist or not exist the destination address on that mscb.

2.The WLC always forwards packets that he received to the switch? Always to be like this?

3. If number 2 is true, switch will be flooded by wireless traffic didn't they?

Can you give me the CLI command showing MSCB Scott? Is it just like mac-address table on a switch?

I'm so excited

But thanks before, Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I was just trying to make it simple:). The wlc is a layer two device for one. If you want to see Mac address, you view the client information. The client information is all the Mac address that the wlc knows about. If a Mac address is there, the wlc does not know about it. A switch is different, because it can tell you of a Mac address of a pc that might be connected to a different switch. The wlc will only show you active devices that have not timed out.

Look at it this way... You define an SSID on a wlc. That SSID is mapped to the management by default. I you want devices that use that SSID to be placed on another vlan, you need a to create an interface on the wlc, so the wlc can communicate in that vlan. Then you would assign that interface to that SSID.

So whatever SSID the device is associated to, the wlc knows what interface it needs to put on. Very simple.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Okay sir, I read your post. But please confirm these 2 points sir:

1. Switch L2 examines the L2 destination adresses, compared it to MAC address table then knows which port to forward it.

2. But, the WLC is different from switch layer 2. WLC is not doing any L2 destination address checks to forward packet. WLC just simply forward packet based on WLAN's interfaces ports.

That is correct.

-Scott

thanks Scott for be patience!

I understand now!

Wish you luck, thanks sir...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: