cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Support for WAP371 Wireless-AC/N Dual Radio Access Point with Single Point Setup

Kingsleyizuka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

WAP371 devices refused to allow the inclusion of a device's MAC address in the list of allowed MAC addressed when configuring MAC address filtering. The weird error message is attached. It says:

"The MAC address cannot be a multicast or a broadcast address. Enter a valid MAC address"

The device's MAC address starts with "99" OUI value and is "99:**:**", when the '99' was changed to any values less than '99', like 98, it was allowed.

I supposed this is a glitch in the firmware, which has been updated to the latest version.

Please how could the device be configured with this MAC that starts with '99'?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What vendor does this device mac address belong too ? Can it be 'consistenly verified' with (for instance):

https://www.macvendorlookup.com/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Kingsleyizuka
Level 1
Level 1

It was unverifiable.

But I think it was the algorithm of the six (6) input fields for MAC address. Because, the device's MAC address was accepted when it was configured on an AP that allows for one input field for MAC address. 

Thanks

- If it's unverifiable then it's still questionable whether this is a legitimate mac address and or perhaps this AP took rightful action.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

My concern is not even the verification of the manufacturer but that the first input field of the MAC filtering feature in WAP371 does not allow the use of '99' value. It seems Cisco recognises a MAC address beginning with '99' as invalid because even a managed switch, running IOS, returned an error that the 'MAC address was invalid'.

- We are dead-circulating against my argument : stating it otherwise. That particular devices, from which vendor does it originate ?

M.

Well I couldn't verify the manufacturer for "99:09:CF". Kindly let me know if you find out.

Thanks.

- Can I not suppose, that if that device is your property, that you should know who you bought it from ?

M.

This argument is not well directed.

Is it invalid to have a MAC address start with '99', especially on Cisco devices?

To buttress on this issue, it was noticed recently that the "MAC address filter" field does not allow the inclusion of a MAC address with 'FF' value as a starting within the address field i.e. FF:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX or 'XX:XX:XX:96:FF:F6'. Consequently, the MAC address will be considered to contain a multicast/broadcast value and disallowed to be filtered.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card