Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch for MR 46 WiFi APs

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
we are planning our new WiFi infrastructure with Cisco Meraki and a lot of MR 46 AP.

I am not very common with PoE and so I need help to find out the right PoE+ switch.

I have read the MS120-8FP datasheet and I have a understanding problem.

Small extract from the datasheet: Power Options available PoE/PoE+ Power are 124W. The MR 46 AP is declared with PoE+ (30W), is it right, that I could only use 4 APs on this switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are probably talking about 30W. 60W would already be PoE++ or 802.3bt but there are not that many APs using that.

Yes, with a PoE-budget of 370W, it can power 12 802.3at devices.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

The MR46 needs 802.3at PoE+, with that I would budget the switch for 30W although the AP will typically drain less power.

But there is more to consider:

1. The MS120 only has 1Gig interfaces, it is likely enough, but a Multi-Gig-Switch is perhaps more future-proof. Ok, it is *much* more costly.
  2. The MS120 only has two 1G uplinks. With four powerful APs and perhaps four other devices, you could easily saturate the uplinks.
  3. Instead of using the MR46 I would also consider the MR44. In many real-world scenarios you will not spot any difference. The MR44 also can operate in an 802.3af LowPower-Mode.

You know that there is a dedicated Meraki community

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

We are unsure if we need a Meraki switch or a simple PoE+ Switch. We don´t have any attention for administrating switches via Cloud.

In this case maybe we could simple use Cisco SG350-24MP instead of the Meraki switches? We will build a an dedicated Internet LAN for our employees and customers. Our Internet bandwith is currently limited at 500Mbit so 1GBit Uplinks are fine at the switches.

What do you think about the SG350-XXMP switches for using them with Meraki APs?

Yes, you can use any switch that you want. But combining Meraki APs with Meraki switches gives you a very good visibility and better troubleshooting.

If you still want to go for the Cisco Small-Business-line, I wouldn't buy the "SG" series any more, the Cisco Business Switch 350 would be a better choice.

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for the information with Cisco CBS line. I read that the SG350 serie run out of SW support this year.

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

One last question for the CBS350-24FP-4G.

Datasheet:

CBS350-24FP-4G

CBS350-24FP-4G-xx

●  24 10/100/1000 PoE+ ports with 370W power budget
●  4 Gigabit SFP 

How many PoE+ (60W) device could I use... 370W/60W = 12 Ports with PoE

You are probably talking about 30W. 60W would already be PoE++ or 802.3bt but there are not that many APs using that.

Yes, with a PoE-budget of 370W, it can power 12 802.3at devices.

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, my fault, 30W for PoE+

Is this right: 370W/30W = 12 Ports with PoE+

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card