cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terminology map from WAC to EWC? AP groups in particular

hostasaurus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I'm moving from a 3504 WAC to an EWC on a 9130AX and still trying to fully understand the conversion from WAC config to the various tags and profiles in EWC.  Is there a layman's guide somewhere which walks one through the major WAC setting equivalents in EWC tags and profiles?

Since EWC only supports one site, that one is easy.  And, since it only supports local switching (flex), that's easy too.

Of particular interest is to determine how exactly to translate the functionality of what had been AP Groups.  We've used those to ensure certain WLANs only show up on certain AP's, and to customize the RF profile on those AP's.

The EWC WLAN profiles are easy enough; they roughly equate to a WAC WLAN, but pieces that had been under Advanced now seem to be found under a Policy Profile.

We have Policy Tags which seem to be the glue between a WLAN Profile and a Policy Profile, but I'm not entirely sure what the point of that is.

We have AP -> Location tags which I used to create a location-specific name, such as break room, but if I try to add the break room AP to this location on the AP Provisioning tag under "APs on this Location", it gives me a 400 status code error and fails to do so.

WAC's have a Controller -> Interface concept, where I can define each vlan tagged "interface".  Those would then be selected as the interface for a given WLAN to use.  Is a Flex Profile the equivalent of this on EWC?  Should I only define one vlan per Flex profile in that case, if using WPA2?

At this point I have defined all the relevant WLANs under WLAN profiles, and I've defined a Flex Profile that has all the relevant VLANs.  I'm second guessing if that's correct for the Flex Profile in a WPA2 environment, or if I should instead just have one Flex Profile per target VLAN.  I have not yet figured out how to map a WLAN to its correct VLAN, as I've found nothing that seems to connect a WLAN profile to a Flex profile, if that is even how it's done.

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at some of the videos from the Wireless group on YouTube.  There are webinars on the migration which can help you understand the new model/workflow.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgkv-b2v7xBW-8_Zv6vcLvQ

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look halfway or a bit before halfway on this video also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFCUBIXhDg&list=PLk1Nf4537xV2BrSb8JROn4LUIF9U1AasS

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can always evaluate (attempted) configuration(s) on the EWC with the CLI command show tech wireless have the output analyzed by https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/
                                           Good practice to do so before production release for instance, 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks.  I'm not sure how to get from WLC to attempted config for the wireless config analyzer to work.  It did output some very useful suggestions for the current WLC that it didn't produce itself in its own best practices analysis, so that's very handy and I'll run it again after I arrive at a 9130 config.

However, your link lead me to a different URL of https://cway.cisco.com/wlc-config-converter/ which appears to be several years out of date, but was intended to let one upload a WLC config for conversion from potentially a 3500 to a 9800, and I believe the 9800 is a model which uses this tags and profiles concept.

I dropped my 3504 config in there and it did seem to produce a config with a bunch of similarities to what I see on my 9130, such as ap profile, wireless profile, wlan, etc.

I'm going to watch the videos posted previously, and use the suggested config conversion, to see if I can bridge the gap on what I'm not sure of to a working config I create, vs paste in, so I can properly understand what I'm doing.

Yes I was about to suggest the config converter but you found it yourself. It's been around for a while but it has been updated for 9800 (EWC is just a mini 9800 series WLC).  By the way I think you meant WLC not WAC.

But it is only a starting point - don't expect it to convert everything - some things cannot be converted and some it just doesn't support.  So use the converted output to guide you if you get stuck on something.  I'd also recommend getting to know the CLI - once you get to know it you can work more quickly than on the GUI.  But sometimes it can be handy to find a feature on the GUI, configure it there and then see the CLI config that gets added.

Also refer to the best practices guide below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: