cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

to 3850 or not to 3850?

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

Currently I have two 5508 controllers each licensed for 100 AP's configured in a 1+N setup with a total of 100 AP's between the two controllers.  (50 each).

I am going to add AP's in two remote buildings that are each connected to the core (where the 5508's are located) via a 20Mb TLS circuit.  I was thinking of just adding more license to the 5508's and having all the new remote AP's just connect back to the existing 5508's.  Keep in mind that all services are located at the core so anybody that connects to the wireless in the remote buildings will be accessing services in the core.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the new 3850's and I see the benefit of the CA and having the AP's terminate locally but in my case would it make sense to do that?

As I understand it I would have to have a 3850 in every closet where an AP comes back to as they have to be directly connected?  So this would mean that I would have to upgrade my network closets to all new switches.

The total number of AP's after all remote sites are done will be about 250 so I could still provide the 1+N relationship with the two 5508's.

Thank you for the input.

5 Replies 5

3850 is part of new Converged Access Architechture & if you are re-designing your wireless then it is a good product to consider. You have to carefully design if you want to keep it in mixed environment (5508 & existing switch stacks connected AP)

Otherwise if you just having additional capacity requirement I would go with existing 5508 by adding additional licenses. But keep in mind you cannot transfer 5508 license to CA WLC model

Again this is upto you how do you want to design your wireless for next 2-3 years considering options available today

HTH

Rasika

**** Please rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika

License transfer is not required from 5500 to 3850.

3850 uses RTU based license, Just pointing 3850-MA to 5500 as MC will make use of AP licenses from 5500 for APs directly connected to 3850-MA.

Thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on your budget, Seth.

Cisco will be releasing the 3650 soon and it will also be sporting a built-in WLC (up to 25 APs).

If you have budget, 3850/3650 would be a good solution forward.  Make sure you read the Release Notes first so you'll be able to determine what PI version the 3850 is supported and what APs 3850 supports.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As I understand it I would have to have a 3850 in every closet where an AP comes back to as they have to be directly connected?  So this would mean that I would have to upgrade my network closets to all new switches.

//Absolutely, Yes.

With 3850 deployment, You can still make use of AP licenses from 5500, However you need to purchase more 3850s since AP has to be directly connected to the 3850.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

– Support for up to 50 access points and 2000 wireless clients on each switching entity (switch or stack)

//A 3850 switch doesn't have 50 ports

//MC failover to another MC is currently unavailable, just in case 5500 acting as MC goes down where the APs on 3850 goes stranded without AP licenses, if it is pulling from 5500. However, AP sso is supported that require additional infrastrcuture.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card