cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Turning off 2.4Ghz on just one access point

nh6we
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone tell me if its possible in a controller based environment, to turn off the 2.4Ghz radio on just one access point?  I know this can be done globally but can it be done on just one access point?

Also, under the wireless tab->radios->802.11b/g/n there is a setting "Admin Status".  Will setting this to "Disable" disable the 2.4 radio on this specific access point?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can someone tell me if its possible in a controller based environment, to turn off the 2.4Ghz radio on just one access point?

Yes, this can be done. 

On the front page of the controller, go to "802.11b/g/n Radios" and click Detail.  Find the AP of your choice and look to the right-hand corner and you'll see a blue "box".  Highlight the cursor on it and choose "Configure".  

You can disable the radio here.

Also, under the wireless tab->radios->802.11b/g/n there is a setting "Admin Status".  Will setting this to "Disable" disable the 2.4 radio on this specific access point?

This is a global setting that will disable ALL the 2.4 Ghz radio.

View solution in original post

If it is 5760 you can use below CLI to shutdown 2.4GHz radio on given AP

5760#ap name <AP_NAME> dot11 24ghz shutdown

In case if you want to re-enable use the below command.

5760#ap name <AP_NAME> no dot11 24ghz shutdown

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can someone tell me if its possible in a controller based environment, to turn off the 2.4Ghz radio on just one access point?

Yes, this can be done. 

On the front page of the controller, go to "802.11b/g/n Radios" and click Detail.  Find the AP of your choice and look to the right-hand corner and you'll see a blue "box".  Highlight the cursor on it and choose "Configure".  

You can disable the radio here.

Also, under the wireless tab->radios->802.11b/g/n there is a setting "Admin Status".  Will setting this to "Disable" disable the 2.4 radio on this specific access point?

This is a global setting that will disable ALL the 2.4 Ghz radio.

What is the process using a 5760 controller?

Thanks

HTH

Rasika

@Rasika Nayanajith wrote:

HTH

Rasika

Hello, what is the correct way to do this on a Cisco 8540 WLC  (software version 8.5.131.0) via the CLI?

I have found the correct way in the GUI but I have to disble 2.4GHz for multiple access points in which case the CLI would be the preferred method ;)

So far my searches online did not yield this information.
Would the command "config 802.11-abgn disable [AP-NAME]" be the correct one?

-or- is the command "config 802.11-abgn band ap [AP-NAME] 5GHz" the correct one? Documentation is unfortunately not very clear about this.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT oktober 11th: the "config 802.11-abgn disable [AP-NAME]" command worked like a charm. It disabled the 2,4GHz band on the selected AP's en allowed me to quickly disable 2,4GHz on those AP's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: