cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to move APs from 5508 to new 5760 HA pair

Robert Sutton
Level 1
Level 1

I have some 3502i APs currently registered with our 5508 controller that I want to move to our new 5760 HA pair. The controllers are not in the same mobility group and cannot be due to the code version running on the 5508. I was hopeful that changing the high availability settings (controller name and IP) on the AP and doing a reload would be all that is needed, but it goes back to the 5508. I also tried the clear all config option and the AP then joined a different controller we have defined in DNS to get all new APs. Tried to force it to the 5760 from there and it didn't work either. I was able to get an 1142 AP to join the new 5760 by telling it to join through the console, but the ones I need to move are now ceiling mounted and console is not a practical option. We are working on ordering Prime and still have WCS so I can't use any of those options either. Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

GARY HAHN
Level 1
Level 1

Presuming the 5508 was in "old mobility" mode (pre 7.6 or set to old mobility), we found that moving APs to new mobility 5760 is not possible.  If you switch the 5508 to new mobility (might require an upgrade) (and reboot), the HA setting change does the trick.  In our case, since we were on old WiSM, we needed to implement a "migration controller" 5508, move APs from WiSM to 5508 old mobility, then switch 5508 to new mobility, then move it to the 5760.  Ridiculous, the lack of foresight in allowing Cisco users to migrate to Cisco is astonishing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you could put up an ACL to deny UDP 5246 to those AP.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How about you create a new AP service-vlan (the one the AP uses für CAPWAP/LWAPP) for the new controllers? That way you simply switch the vlan on the port where the AP is connected and it will join (after a shut/no shut) the new controllers.

GARY HAHN
Level 1
Level 1

Presuming the 5508 was in "old mobility" mode (pre 7.6 or set to old mobility), we found that moving APs to new mobility 5760 is not possible.  If you switch the 5508 to new mobility (might require an upgrade) (and reboot), the HA setting change does the trick.  In our case, since we were on old WiSM, we needed to implement a "migration controller" 5508, move APs from WiSM to 5508 old mobility, then switch 5508 to new mobility, then move it to the 5760.  Ridiculous, the lack of foresight in allowing Cisco users to migrate to Cisco is astonishing.

Hi Gary,

I've discovered that is indeed the core issue that I'm running into. And of course this is a hospital environment with no spare controllers so I can't update code/shift APs to move to new mobility. The other issue was my own stupidity. We have a pair of 6500's running HSRP and the VLAN I used for the AP-Manager address only existed on box 1. Felt pretty stupid when I discovered that. Anyway, it seems I can get the APs to register to the new controller by using its IP address under HA. They do not like going back to the 5508 though. I'll mettle my way through it. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

.... and even a tiny bit of documentation on old to new mobility migration would have revealed this for both of us.  smiley   Oh well.  All the best with your migrations!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: