cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade two WLC 5508 with HA SSO from 7.5.102.0 to 7.6.130.0 combined with FUS 1.9

Bjorn Prins
Level 1
Level 1

The running config is:

- Two WLC5508's in HA SSO setup running version 7.5.102.0

- about 130 x 2602i APs

I need to upgrade to 7.6.130.0 using the pre-download feature to minimize the network downtime.

Is it possible to transfer the 7.6 to the controllers and pre-download 7.6 to all APs, then do the FUS 1.9 upgrade and finally start the actual controller upgrade to 7.6.

So the steps would be:

1. Transfer 7.6 image to primary controller (do not reboot!), so still running 7.4 as active image.

2. Start pre-download of 7.6 image to all APs and wait till all APs have the new image (do not know how long it takes for 130 APs).

3. Upgrade both controllers with FUS 1.9 (HA should upgrade both controllers automatically) (takes about 45 minutes?)

4. Make 7.6 image the active/primary image on controllers and APs and reset controllers.

If the steps above will not work, I would need to upgrade FUS 1.9 which means 1 hour downtime and then start the pre-download to all APs. The pre-download can take a long time I heard, so I need to wait and wait before I can start the 7.6 upgrade, which means another 1 hour downtime.

This way I need two maintenance windows instead of one. So would it be possible to combine the pre-download and FUS?

Regards,

Bjorn

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The v7.6 image and the FUS is a separate download and reboot.  You need to download v7.6.130.0 and then wait for the primary to transfer it to the secondary.  After this, you can do a pre-download then a reboot.  The FUS will be the same way as it is a separate download.  This is the con of AP SSO enabled.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

Do I need to upgrade the FUS 1.9 before the 7.6 image or can I do the FUS afterwards? If I can do it afterwards, I can do the upgrades in the same maintenance window. This way I can start the pre-download the day before, so I am pretty sure the APs have the image at the time of the maintenance window.

I cannot find any remarks about the required order of installation (FUS -> image or image -> FUS).

Regards

Bjorn

>Do I need to upgrade the FUS 1.9 before the 7.6 image or can I do the FUS afterwards? If I can do it afterwards, I can do the upgrades in the same maintenance window. This way I can start the pre-download the day before, so I am pretty sure the APs have the image at the time of the maintenance window.

>I cannot find any remarks about the required order of installation (FUS -> image or image -> FUS).

Release Notes for Wireless LAN Controller Field Upgrade Software for Release 1.9.0.0 - p2 :

* This release of the Field Upgrade Software is applicable to CISCO WLC's that are installed with the controller software release 6.0 and later.

So strict reading implies that you have to run 7.6 first.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card