Views
Helpful
Replies

Use AP image pre-download or not?

Fredrik Hjelm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I´m looking at upgrading some WiSM2 WLCs and was considering to use pre-loading.

It will effect about 1000 APs and I then thought it would be a good way to go. But as I plan this it seems that due to this networks design, it might not be a good idea.

The APs have 3 WLCs configured, primary is a WiSM2 (which will upgraded), secondary is a WiSM (that will be running a different software version) and tertiary is a WiSM (same software as the secondary).

If I then upgrade the WiSM2 and pre-load the APs and then reload the WLC and APs,The APs will reboot on the pre-loaded image, but probably faster than their primary WLC, which then will not be available. Then they will try to join the secondary WLC (WiSM) and downgrade software to able to join that WLC.

Then the whole point with the pre-loading seems to be lost. I cannot upgrade the backup WLCs because they are WiSMs and they cannot run a higher software version than their current. But I must upgrade the WiSM2s beacuse they must support a new model of AP, AP2600.

One reason using pre-loading was not to have a long queue of APs waiting to download the new software. Which we have had problems with before, some APs would stall the whole queue etc. But as it seems to me now, we still would get that because of the different software versions on the WLCs.

What is your take in this? Use pre-loading or not?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd use pre-loading all the time, however, your upgrade method is the other way around.

Upgrade your primary BUT DO NOT reload.  Invoke the pre-download.

While the APs are loading the IOS, upgrade your secondary and tertiary.  Reboot them.

Once secondary and tertiary is finish with the upgrade and reboot, reboot the primary. 

Thank for your input!

But as I wrote, I will not [be able] upgrade the secondary and tertiary WLCs. They will run an older software version.

Maybe a possible solution is to configure all the APs without any backup WLCs only primary. Just for the upgrade period. But my experience is that APs still "remember" and will try to join a not configured but earlier configured WLC anyway.

If you can't, then don't bother upgrading.

If you do upgrade the primary, and the primary fails, the AP will fall back to the secondary and download the IOS.

This will take a looooooong time. 

Yes I´m aware of that! But not upgrading is not an option....

We will have to do it the hard way.. :-)

Well what you should do them is upload the code to the primary and then push the image to the AP's in that WLC. Then swap the image in the AP. after this is done, enable AAA authentication for the AP's in the other two WLC's. this will prevent any AP's from joining. Reboot the WLC and when that comes back, the AP's will join. Then when all the AP's join, enable AAA authentication for the AP's on that also so that the AP's on the other WLC will not join. Then when you upgrade another WLC you would need to disable that so when the AP's boot and try to join the WLC let's them.

Simple:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, that could work för sure!

Just to clearify:

1. Upgrade WLC1 to new software version

2. Push image to APs to joined APs on WLC1

3. Swap image on the APs so that the newly pushed image will be the primary.

4. Enable AAA-auth on WLC2 and3

5. Reboot WLC1 and APs,

6. For example then, Issue "reset system in 00:05:00 reset-aps save-config"

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

You could just power down the wisms on the 6500 during the wism2 upgrade.

No power enable module (#)

Once the upgrade is complete, power them back up.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Yes, also a possible way, but the WiSMs have APs joined that are in full operation. It should not be that way but it is now. =)

Thank for your input!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card