Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use both CAP 3602i and LAP 1242AG on the same floor

Not applicable

On our conference floor, AP 1242AG already exist but I am going to add AP 3602i to increase wireless coverage.  .  Any issue or concern with this type of setting?

23 Replies 23

Yes..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

This has nothing to do with the clean air conversation, but I was wondering what influenced your decision to buy a 3602i rather than a 2602i?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

It just depends on what you want.  The 3600's is the high-end AP.  The 3600 is a 4x4 with 3 Spatial Streams and the 2600 is a 3x4 with 3 Spatial Streams.  Really comes down to how much are you willing to spend:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

Scott,

That is basically what I was getting at. Not many adapters can use a 4x4x3 yet, so I usually steer people towards the 2600 to save money. Just FYI to anyone reading, you must be on 7.3 to run the 2600 and the 3600 does give you the ability to plug in the 802.11AC module to do gig wireless.

Well that's the thing... some look at it a future proof, but you never know what will happen in the future.  AC will come out, but when will devices start supporting that.  I believe some of the mac books do offer the 4x4 cards though. You have many choices... why not just use the 3500's or the 1040's or some of the newer low end ap's.  I believe its just how deep is your pockets, as many of my installs are still 3600's even though they could of went will a cheaper AP.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Sometimes to many options are a bad thing ...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

Scott,

I just think if and when 802.11AC takes off that it won't be a module that you add to the AP like the 3600, it will be built in. 3600 reminds me of the 1252 in regards to the modular attachments.

We all know that:)

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mix of 124X and 360X shouldn't give issue on coverage, few things to note.

At some point down the line newer WLC code won't support 1242 and also will be EOL.

Roaming may cause an issue since the AP hardware/chipset is different for both, also N clients performance.

Cisco 1130 and 1240 series access points support DTLS data encryption with software-based encryption, and 1140, 1250, 1260, and 3500 series access points support DTLS data encryption with hardware-based encryption.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5755/ps11682/ps11686/qa_c67-676181.html

Q. Is Cisco VideoStream technology supported on the Cisco Aironet® 1142 Access Point?

A. Yes, VideoStream is supported on the Cisco Aironet 1040, 1140, 1250, 1260, 3500, 1130, and 1240 Series access points. For more information, see the release notes for the specific access points you're interested in.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/qa_c67-604158.html

Q. Is a mixed environment advisable with older access points in the same RF area as Cisco Aironet 3500s?

A. The ideal recommendation is pervasive Cisco Aironet 3500 deployment for full performance and functions of the Cisco CleanAir technology.

Q. Is it correct to have a mixed system with Cisco Aironet 1131 and Cisco Aironet 3500 Access Points?

A. You can use them on the same controller, but our recommendation is to deploy Cisco Aironet 3500s in monitor mode to provide spectrum analysis over existing Cisco Aironet 1130 deployments. Generally it is poor network design to mix data-serving 11n and non-11n access points in the same coverage area.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card