cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Roles - WCS 6.0

Jason Wing
Level 1
Level 1

In order to manage bandwidth for my guest wireless network, I am configuring user roles.

The four parameters of the user roles (Average Data Rate, Burst Data Rate, Average Real Time Data Rate, Burst Real Time Data Rate) require a bandwidth value. However they do not specify what unit of measurment to use. KB? Bytes?

Also, does anyone have any good recommendations on values for user roles? So far, I am envisioning three roles:

Restricted

Standard

Executive

Restricted allowing the least amount of bandwidth.

Any input would be helpful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

no worries man that's what we are here for

If you found the answer helpful please rate and mark the questioned answered so it can be found by others later.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The values are to be listed in Kb for the user roles.

As for values, it all depends on what the needs of the groups are. You could go through and go by halves for each group

Restricted - 128

Standard - 256

Exec - 512

of course you can change these as you need to to support the users needs.

Do keep in mind that this will only limit the client traffic once it reaches the WLC, down to the client.

HTH,

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pcroak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EDIT: Steve beat me to it!

The data rate values are in kbps. The permitted values are 0 (unlimited) to 60,000. The first two are for TCP traffic, and the real time values are for UDP traffic.

Also note that these restrictions apply in the downstream direction only, so client uploads cannot be restricted by the WLC.

For additional information, see the config guide section on this topic:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_controller_setting.html#wpmkr1254531

-Pat

Ahh - so it specifies K in the WLC but not in WCS. Thanks Steve and Pat for the info. Thanks for the link as well - not sure how I missed it in my Google searching.

no worries man that's what we are here for

If you found the answer helpful please rate and mark the questioned answered so it can be found by others later.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card