Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using cisco 9105AXI for Site survey

Hi, im very new to cisco. I have a client that wants to install the latest 9100 series APs in the near future and want to do a site survey before. They bought a C9105AXI to be used in the survey. Im having trouble setting it up. I do not have a controller. Do you absolutely need a controller to set it up? can I install the embedded controller on this AP? I have tried following guides online to tftp the IOS with embedded controller to the AP, but it never works. I was not expecting it to be this complicated to simply set up 1 access point for a survey....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Refer this FAQ for required part number and other important questions that you may have with EWC.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.html 

AP that use in EWC does not require any DNA subscription as well, so you will see it get more popularity. (I am not suggesting your manufacturing environment should go with EWC for production, however for the survey, yes.

Once you do a predictive with Ekahau, use AP on a stick to quick validation your model. 

HTH

Rasika 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

No, you do not require a WLC. When you order 9105 for this, get it with EWC (Embeded Wireless Controller) image on it and preferably 17.4.1 version. With that code, even you can run DHCP server on your AP. You simply want power the AP and way you go with basic config

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks for the response. 

The customer already purchased one without EWC... Ive been trying to install the EWC image via tftp server following multiple guides online but keep running into the same errors. I think part of the issue is the people writing these guides are using a Cisco switch which I also don't have access to...

If it's not possible I'll just have to see if they are willing to buy the version you mentioned. I appreciate your help! 

Refer this FAQ for required part number and other important questions that you may have with EWC.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.html 

AP that use in EWC does not require any DNA subscription as well, so you will see it get more popularity. (I am not suggesting your manufacturing environment should go with EWC for production, however for the survey, yes.

Once you do a predictive with Ekahau, use AP on a stick to quick validation your model. 

HTH

Rasika 

Thank you so much for all the information! I'll try updating the ap with the EWC tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have better luck with it. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Site survey with an AP-on-a-stick is very old school. 

The reason why it is very old school is because it is time consuming, expensive and very inaccurate.

Yeah I'm not thrilled about it. It's a huge manufacturing plant and they are worried about certain areas and want to get an idea of how the signal might be before they spend a ton of money on conduit.

I'm using the whole ekahau suite. I've done a bunch of offices and prisons successfully, but this is my first manufacturing plant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What would be efficient methods of conducting site-surveys? Any advise would be greatly helpful. Especially when it comes to accuracy and saving time. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: