Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan change on switch connected to AP

eigrpy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, 

There are two interfaces in WLC. One is static management interface vlan 10 and second is created vlan 20. Trunk connections are at between WLC and SW1, and between SW1 and SW3, The port F0/1 is access mode. If F0/1 is assigned with vlan20, what else needs to be done? Thanks

WLC -------------SW1 -------------------SW3(port F0/1) ----------AP

7 Replies 7

Anjana A
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Share the Model/version of the WLC

Please confirm whether both the interfaces on the wlc are up?

If there is reachability from switch3 to wlc on the vlan 20, then the ap can be in access mode with access vlan as 20.

Please explain the over all design. AP's in local or flex connect mode?

Regards,

Anjana.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if these are cisco switches, i would go with Trunk port between switches with allowed VLAN config, so you get the ability to add more vlan later day if required without any downtime.

As Long as layer 3 routing and AP able to reach WLC, i do not see any issue on a high level.

make sure Layer 3 interfaces on Sw1.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you very much for your reply.

I want to attach dhcp server for users, can I attach it to either vlan 10 or vlan20? 

If vlan20 is only allowed to be reached by employee, the SW3 port which is connected to the AP has to be assigned to vlan20? In another word, the management vlan10 can be used for this port for this purpose instead of vlan20? 

user IP address from CAPWAP or whatever mode you deployed - I am only concerned about the AP registration with WLC VLAN.

as long AP underlay reach WLC and join WLC, the rest will be ok.##

is this make sense ?

BB

Sorry I didnt make it clear. what I mean is that I want this AP to send out ssid, for example, ABC, but the ssid ABC and its wlan are ONLY associated with interface vlan 20, do I have to assign(allow if its trunk) this vlan 20 to the switch port F0/1 if vlan 10 already is allowed to go through the port? Thank you!

VLAN 20 not required to allow in the trunk or Port-channel.

BB

Since ssid ABC is only associated with vlan20, if vlan20 is not assigned to the portf0/1 or go through trunk to reach the AP, the client would not be able to receive or see ssid ABC signal around the AP, am i right? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card