cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vmware unable to get the IP address from DHCP when connected on WLAN.

Hi,

Vmware client (VM player) unable to get the IP address from DHCP when connected on wireless network. but the physical machine/ Laptop is  gets the ip from DHCP.

Controller 5508

Urgent!!

Any help on query would be appreciated

Thanks

Laxmi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are allowed only one MAC address per WiFi connection.  So you are probably using a bridged connection in VM Player, so the second device, your virtual machine will fail.

Configure the VM Player to use a NAT'ed connection (so it shares the host connection) and it should work.

I'm used to using VMWare Workstation.  Not sure how much control you have when you are only using the player.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are allowed only one MAC address per WiFi connection.  So you are probably using a bridged connection in VM Player, so the second device, your virtual machine will fail.

Configure the VM Player to use a NAT'ed connection (so it shares the host connection) and it should work.

I'm used to using VMWare Workstation.  Not sure how much control you have when you are only using the player.

Thanks Philip  for your reply :)

Is it a limitations of WLC or a firmware?

Hmm, neither.  I think 802.11 was intended to only have one MAC address per client.

The only devices allowed more than one MAC address are "Workgroup Bridges" and "Bridges".

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card