Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC Bandwidth ?

eng.omarka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

i have vWLC v 8.0.121.0 my quastion is how max bandwidth Mbps per virtual controller speed can i get with this WLC ??

BR

OKA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is really no answer for this.  

1. vWLC is on a VM, so how much resource is avaialble
  2. vWLC supports FlexConnect AP's so if you locally switch, the user traffic goes from the AP to the switch. If you centrally switch, the user traffic goes from the AP to the vWLC.  So it depends on your design
  3. User traffic depends on how many clients per AP, the negotiated speed between AP and client, applications used and device type

You know the backplane of the WLC platforms because of how many ports they have, the vWLC depends on you VM host and its network connection. You also have to understand it software vs hardware now. If you design it right, it will work for you. Majority uses hardware based, but you have some that are successful with vWLC.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is really no answer for this.  

1. vWLC is on a VM, so how much resource is avaialble
  2. vWLC supports FlexConnect AP's so if you locally switch, the user traffic goes from the AP to the switch. If you centrally switch, the user traffic goes from the AP to the vWLC.  So it depends on your design
  3. User traffic depends on how many clients per AP, the negotiated speed between AP and client, applications used and device type

You know the backplane of the WLC platforms because of how many ports they have, the vWLC depends on you VM host and its network connection. You also have to understand it software vs hardware now. If you design it right, it will work for you. Majority uses hardware based, but you have some that are successful with vWLC.

-Scott 

-Scott

Thanks for answer ,

i use it in my home and i have 2 AP and just one switch and all trafik is in the same vlan , when i test my internet from my pc with wireless i get 450 Mbit/s but when i use cable i get 980 Mbit/s ,  my AP suport up to 1300Mbit/s , so why i get just 450 Mbit/s

my channel 108

80 MHz Width

5GHz Band

AC mode 

1300 Mbps 

What AP do you have joined to the vWLC?  Wireless is half duplex so what every your devices shows it is negotiated to, you cut that in half and that is your theoretical throughout.  You also have to look at what the link is from the AP to the switch and the switch to the vWLC. 

-Scott

-Scott

the link between switch and AP is  a-full a-1000

Again, wireless is half duplex.  What the dataset shows the the max throughout but overall device throughout will be half depending on the negotiated speed between the client and AP.  Channel overlap, interference, RSSI and SNR will influence the end result.  What your seeing is about right since its half of what your getting from the wired side.

-Scott

-Scott

Look at the negotiated speed on the client device and divide that in half.  That is the theoretical max you will see. If your AP's are overlapping channels with each other or any other 802.11a channels from your neighbors, that will affect your speed.  If you see something like 900 Mbps on your client, your max would be 450 Mbps.

-Scott 

-Scott

TX rate 867 Mpbs

RSSI -51 dBm

Noise -93 dBm

i dont have any  overlapping 

Well that right then because you cut 867 in half. That's the theoretical max.  

-Scott

-Scott

thanks

No problem. The marketing manufacturers do to promote 802.11a, g, n and now AC does make it seem that one should be able to obtain those speeds.  If I were to deploy AC in a downtown building in Chicago for example, I would deploy it with 20 MHz channel width because of all the other wireless from adjacent tenants.  You would never deploy 80 MHz in those areas and 40 MHz is even risky due to channel overlap.

-Scott

-Scott

But why overlap ? 20 Mhz is  more use , all my neighbor have 20 or 40 just me 80 mhz,

why u use 20 Mhz if the AC is give u more speed , if i change to 20 Mhz i get just 40 Mpbs and when i use 80 i get 450Mpbs is big different

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card