Views
Helpful
Replies

Want to upgrade WLC5508 to version 7.4

Puneet Gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have five cisco WLC 5508 and one WCS .The WLC is running on 7.0.116.0 version at present but we want to upgrade it to 7.4.100.0 but on cisco site at download location , the below thing is mentioned...

WLC Version 7.4.100.0 will need Prime Infrastructure Version 1.3 to be  managed, Version 1.3 is not yet available to download at this point of  time

Access Point Model----Cisco 3501i Series

So i want to know, can i upgrade it to this version when we are having the WCS in our network ?

Or any other obligations in doing the upgrdation ?

Thanks....

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

WCS won't be able to manage that WLC if you load teh 7.4 code on it.

Now, WCS/NCS is not necessarily needed to run the WLC, so if you can handle not having the reporting until 1.3 comes out, then go ahead and upgrade to 7.4.

If you have to have the reporting, you'll want to wait till PI 1.3 comes out befire you upgrade the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can upgrade. PI 1.3 will fully support v7.4 on the WLC. Like Steve mentioned, it's not mandatory to have WCS/NCS/PI. I think Leo or George is running 7.4 with WCS. Still can monitor the WLCs and do some reporting.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

What do you want to upgrade? The WLC or WCS? The latest WCS is 7.0.240.0.

Like I said, you can upgrade the WLC to 7.3 or 7.4, but in order to reliably support all the features like templates you need to make sure the code is compatible. If you still want to push out templates, then you should only upgrade the WLC to the latest 7.0 and the WCS to 7.0.240.0.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

-Scott

The fact that 7.0.230.0 can manage WLC running a higher version, particularly the 7.3.X and the 7.4.X, in my opinion, is a bug.

I don't want to upgrade our WCS to 7.0.240.0 because I'm afraid that Cisco may have fixed this "loophole".  This is what I mean by "close the loop".

16 Replies 16

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Now, WCS/NCS is not necessarily needed to run the WLC, so if you can handle not having the reporting until 1.3 comes out, then go ahead and upgrade to 7.4.

If you have to have the reporting, you'll want to wait till PI 1.3 comes out befire you upgrade the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Yes you can, Steve.  I've got WCS 7.0.230.0 and it works.

HI

This is confusing. Can i use Cisco WLC 5508 with 7.3 code and having WCS 7.0.240.0 without having no issue with template ?

I can't answer about WCS 7.0.240.0 because I am suspecting Cisco has "closed the loop".

I'm using 7.0.230.0 and I have two WiSM-2 running 7.4.100.0 and I can run templates.

Hi Leo

Thanks for the reply..

" closed the Loop " means there was a loop in 7.0.230.0 becuase of that we can use WLC7.4 with WCS with all feature of WCS ?

If this is correct , then i can downgrade my WCS to 7.0.230.0

Thanks

The fact that 7.0.230.0 can manage WLC running a higher version, particularly the 7.3.X and the 7.4.X, in my opinion, is a bug.

I don't want to upgrade our WCS to 7.0.240.0 because I'm afraid that Cisco may have fixed this "loophole".  This is what I mean by "close the loop".

Hi Leo

Thanks a lot for the reply and understanding the query

No problem.  Glad to be of assistance.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can upgrade. PI 1.3 will fully support v7.4 on the WLC. Like Steve mentioned, it's not mandatory to have WCS/NCS/PI. I think Leo or George is running 7.4 with WCS. Still can monitor the WLCs and do some reporting.

-Scott

Thanks Scott , Stephan

I am using WCS mainly to get the traps like access point authenitication ,MAC filtering template so i will be able to use this feature when upgrade it to 7.4 or the best option is to go for 7.3.112.0 ?

Well the templates might or might not work, but you would have to migrate from WCS to NCS 1.1 and then upgrade to PI 1.2.  SO you will need to purchase an upgrade WCS to PI, but will need to go from WCS to NCS to PI...makes sense?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks Scott

We can not do any change in WCS . I mean we do not want to purchase any upgrade license as of now.

So can i upgarde it to 7.3 using the same WCS running at present ?

Thanks....

What do you want to upgrade? The WLC or WCS? The latest WCS is 7.0.240.0.

Like I said, you can upgrade the WLC to 7.3 or 7.4, but in order to reliably support all the features like templates you need to make sure the code is compatible. If you still want to push out templates, then you should only upgrade the WLC to the latest 7.0 and the WCS to 7.0.240.0.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

-Scott

Thanks Scott

This is really very helpful and answered my query.

Just for the information, i want to upgrade the WLC which is having 7.0.116.0 code.

Client wants to upgrade it ot the latest code use the enhanced feature in new code but we are having WCS in our network.

My query has already bee answered but want to know just one thing ...

Can i upgrade my WCS to NCS and what licenses , i need to purchase for this upgradation ?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card