cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP571 has very low signal on 5GHz radio. Is it faulty?

snomis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi forum,  Last week I purchased a WAP571 access point.  Radio 2 (2.4GHz) works exceptionally well.  However, Radio 1 (5GHz) has a VERY poor signal.  To properly test this, I have reset the AP to defaults and disabled Radio 2, and I can only connect to the 5GHz radio if I stand within 1m of the access point!    Checking the signal strength with an app on my phone, at 1m from the AP the signal strength is -77dBm!  If I enable Radio 2 (2.4GHz), the coverage and signal strength on Radio 2 is excellent.

I am using a Cisco SB-PWR-INJ2 (30W 802.3at POE injector), so I know the device should be receiving adequate power to operate both radios at full power.  The injector is connected via a short patch cable 1m long to the AP, so there should be negligible cable losses for power.

I have another device, an ASUS RT-AC3200 router flashed with dd-wrt firmware and configured as an AP and the 5GHz signal is VERY strong in comparison.

I have placed the two APs in the same room, with only one turned on at once to avoid any interference, and the difference is phenomenal.  The ASUS is a super strong signal, and fast bitrate at up to 10m from the AP, and still a good signal up to 15m away.  The Cisco AP is poor at 1m, and after 4-5m, there is no signal at all.

I feel the WAP571 is faulty.  It almost feels like when they manufactured it, they forgot to plug the antenna into the 5GHz radio!  Note that this is the WAP571 (not the WAP571E), so the antennas are all internal.

When I have the WAP571 disconnected, and I have the ASUS AP on, my devices connect to both different bands, 2.4GHz and 5GHz (obviously dependant on device distance and device capacity).  When I swap, and turn off the ASUS AP, and power on the WAP571, EVERY device connects to the 2.4GHz band and no devices connect to the 5GHz band.

Has anyone seen anything like this with this model AP before?

3 Replies 3

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Can you check if the 5 Ghz radio runs at full power?
If yes, then it's probably broken and needs to be replaced.

Yes the 5Ghz radio is configured for full power.  Thanks for your reply.

I would say that your ap is faulty then. 4-5m away you should still have coverage especially line of sight.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card