cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS and Windows 2008

evarner
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client who uses VM Ware. They just bought the WCS but do not have Windows 2003 only Windows 2008. Can they install WCS on 2008? If not is anyone aware of a work around for this issue?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Kasper Roholt
Level 1
Level 1

WCS are not supported on win 2008 and Will not be (what i have from tac)

You will have to find a win2003

Regards

Kasper

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

john smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi evarner@digitalconnections.com

i hope you are doing fine.

wcs is not yet supporting win server 2003

but you can install VMWare on win server 2008

and install WCS on it

it should work

plz do not forget to rate the useful response.

Thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
They just bought the WCS but do not have Windows 2003 only Windows 2008.

Can your client RETURN the purchase?

Cisco has announced that the new Cisco Prime will be replacing WCS.

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

+5 to Leo, if buying now, it just makes more sense to buy NCS rather than WCS, exchanging the purchase might be a good plan

exchanging the purchase might be a good plan

Thanks for the rating Nico.  You can exchange??? 

With the right threatening, vendors or account teams might accept various things :-)

With the right threatening, vendors or account teams might accept various things :-)

Thanks Nico.  You just gave me an idea.

We've just finalizing purchasing >20 units of 6506+Sup 720 and >20 units of 4506R+E.  I wonder if we could get a pair of Cisco Prime to go with it. 

Prime NCS comes in two flavors. Virtual Machine Image for 1995.00 US list price or on an appliance for roughly 14,995.00 US list price. All licensing from WCS transitions to what is the equivalent of WCS Plus licensing. All licenses that you currently own on any WCS converts 1 to 1 with a NCS license. NCS also supports managing switches but each is considered a licensed device. Future support for routers, cellular rebroadcast, and smartphone management is surely to come. Support has significantly changed as well. Maintenance releases are still covered in support but major version releases are no longer covered. Be prepared to pay an upgrade fee every year to two years. I personally think this is a VERY bad idea. Unlike ACS or Call Manager major version changes occur in wireless every year. To expect our customers to continue to foot the bill on a product that often requires multiple maintenance releases to get stable will drive customers to other management products.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card