Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wds restrictions?

Hi

Is it possible to have more than one active and one backup wds in the same layer2 network?

i have about 180APs in my network so i need 3 active WDS...

is this possible?

regards chris

3 Replies 3

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not possible as far as I know. It's not recommended to have 180 APs in the same layer 2 subnet either actually, you are going to get killed with multicast/broadcast traffic.

Nicolas

Hi

for usertraffic i have seperatet vlans..

the layer2  to is only for managing...

Issiue is that we are rolling out 7921 ip phones with load 1.4.1, and the phones always says "leaving network"

and also we have roaming problems.

so i want to use cckm, but this in only possible with wds..

I want to connect 60 AP's to this wds and the other 60 to another one, and so on..

I understand that you have a management vlan and different clients vlans. But are you saying that you have only one client vlan used by 180 APs ?

If you have several, then you can put your APs into several management subnet too.

If you are trying to do roaming between different layer3 subnets, you may need to look into a WLC and not the WDS feature.

For networks with more than 60 APs, there was the WLSM to tackle this problem but now it's all handled with lightweight APs.

Regarding your management vlan including the 180 APs, let me remind you that traffic between infrastructure ap and the WDS (so basically all clients authentications, roaming and RF reports) are sent over layer 2 multicast, so it's definitely a killer for the all the APs.

Nicolas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card