Views
Helpful
Replies

WDS & Roaming

rickellis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 15 1200's setup for WDS with 1 master the remaining are backups. In a properly configured WDS AP environment is it normal for the client to always see the master WDS even when they roam? I have clients using Funk Odyssey and when they roam they maintain a connection but it always shows that the master WDS is what they are currently connected to. Is that correct?

thanks,

Rick

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It may just be how the Funk software is interpreting the connection.

When you roam, the client should be associated with the AP that it is active for that connection ... and the active AP would change while you move around.

You can verify that this is happening by watching the signal strength as you walk around with the client(gets weaker, then is suddenly stronger).

You can also watch the association tables on the various APs to see that the client is being handed off to the next AP.

It may be that the Funk software is seeing the (only 1 active AP per broadcast domain) as the authentication source and presenting it as the AP that the client is associated to.

The 1200s are a prety strong radiator (I can cover most of a floor with one unit) ... it may also be that the client never roams and is staying on the home AP. You'll need to watch your signal strengths.

If you find that this is the case, you may want to reduce the power on the APs or change the antennas to better cover discreet areas.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply and I will check out your suggestions/feedback. To be clear though this is not how WDS should work then from my original question? I just wasn't sure since if the WDS master would reflect its status to the user in that manner.

Rick

In the context of roaming, the WDS acts like an authentication proxy. All auth requests are channeled through the WDS (versus directly to the RADIUS server ... which is why you have to tell the other APs that they ae WDS "participants" .... so they'll auth by way of the WDS).

I pretty sure that the only reference the client would see is that the WDS is/may be the authenticator ... and unless the client also happens to be associated to the WDS AP, shouldn't really care about what happens to the traffic once it's passed to the AP.

Check it out and let us know.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card