Views
Helpful
Replies

Weak wifi signal - 1550, 1262 APs

dario.bosnjak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

deploying 1550 and 1262 APs indoor and outdoor but getting weak signal from both.

We are deploying 1550 and 1262 APs in 2 countries with ETSI regulations (so ETSI APs). APs are connected to WLC (5508, v7.2) and we configured static TXPower (802.11b/g) and set value to 1 (highest). We played with antenna gain values (from default 0 to the correct value of antenna gain).

The signal level from both AP types is very low. This is very disapointing for 1550 APs - we have a coverage radius of 20-30 meters. This is of course unacceptable because of the cost of APs, the size and because of competition products.

Am I missing some configuration in WLC? Is there any way to improve distance??

19 Replies 19

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

I assume that the 1262 was used for indoor and 1550 was used outdoor?

20 - 30 metres radius doesn't seem bad for an indoor coverage depending on type of obstacle. This equates to a diameter of 40 - 60 metres, and the diametre of 11Mbps circle is 60m (200 feet) approximately.

What is the structure of your indoor environment including obstacle type.

What model of 1550 did you deploy? External antenna or Integrated antenna

Is the coverage radius reported only for the indoor or both outdoor and indoor?

I would suggest that for indoor AP (1262), leave the TX power as default i.e determined by the WLC and see if it reduces the power automatically. If this happens, then there might be an interference issue.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The signal level from both AP types is very low. This is very disapointing for 1550 APs - we have a coverage radius of 20-30 meters. This is of course unacceptable because of the cost of APs, the size and because of competition products.

How HIGH from the ground are the WAPs installed?  What kind of antennas are used in the 1260?  What direction are the antennas pointing to?  What direction is the "Cisco" logo pointing?  Describe the areas where the WAPs are installed?

When you say bad signal, from what radio?  Both?  What data rates are disabled on the WLC?

dario.bosnjak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The 1550 is my main problem now. According to Cisco the 802.11g cell or range should be 180m

(ETSI version). However I already deployed several of 1550s and the range is not even near that number, more like 50-60 in best case.

1550 currently support only a single antenna type (omnidirectional) so one cannot fail on poor antenna selection.

The height on which 1550s are installed is 4-10 meters depending on location. Signal is bad for the 2.4GHz radio (5 Ghz even worse because of higher freq).

When I say signal is bad i mean that RSSI values on client devices (PC, MAC, phone, tablet) are poor (-70dbm and worse) already 30 meters away from the radio.

First all data rates were enabled and then i disabled the lower ones up to 11mbps. I played with the rates but it doesnt seem to have a significant impact (although it should)

The antenna gain settings for access points in WLC were first set to match actual gain of the installed antenna but then i put a value of 1 hoping WLC will increase the power (EIRP = tx + gain - cable loss).

---

Regarding installation of 1262, it is always installed on ceiling (below the ceiling), the height is 3-4 meters, antennas and cisco logo are facing down. Actually 1262 with omni could be also positioned on side walls with almost similar signal quality but we are not doing it.

1550 currently support only a single antenna type (omnidirectional) so one cannot fail on poor antenna selection.

Please specify the model number of the antenna.

Antenna product nr. is AIR-ANT2547V-N. The AP is AIR-LAP1552E

Something is not right here.

Your antenna is correct model but ALL of you wireless signal is weak?

I would understand if one or two of the WAPs have low signal strength but ALL?  

Hi Dario,

I am also experiencing the same problem , very poor range for the 1552 in full power. around 50mts max at -70dbm. Did you find a solution for this  ? Please let me know

regards

Joe

50 mts around -70 isn't bad. I'm guessing its an open area and line of sight?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

But the 1552 range calculator says 190mts for LOS !! so at least half of that should be achieved in open space ? and non-LOS claim as per range calculator is 100 mts

regards

Joe

That's for mesh to mesh not mesh to client.

-Scott

Nope, its for client access. Please check the range calculator, there is a tab for client access and input your device type and you get those values. 

www.cisco.com/en/US/.../1520_Link_Calculator.xls

regards

Joe

Sorry, wrong link :

www.cisco.com/.../range/calculator/1552_Link_Calculator

Well I wouldn't of used that for exact measurements anyways. When we have deployed mesh, an outdoor mesh survey was required in order to provide the coverage the client expected.

-Scott

hi Dario,

Did you find a solution for this ? Please let me know. Cisco outdoor AP's even the new 1572 range is pathetic in the -E regulatory domain. 

regards

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card