cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Weird WLC issue - guest account keeps disappearing

ken.montgomery
Level 1
Level 1

We have a permanent guest account setup on our 2504 WLC in one location, much as in our other multiple sites with 4400, 5500 and 2500 series controllers.

In this particular location, the guest account is disappearing from the controller about every 12 hours... for no apparent reason.  We haven't seen any configuration in the logs, and we have management restricted through TACACS+ and no management through wireless...

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?  I have no ideas, can't find any difference betweeen controllers.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you supply more info. Your talking about guest user now seeing the guest SSID every 12 hours or they get disconnected every 12 hours? Or are you saying that the guest user account disappears from the WLC after 12 hours and you have to add it back?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I apologize if it is unclear.

The guest user account, under security, local net users, disappears at some point in a 12 hour period, then guest users can no longer authenticate.  We have been unable to catch it disappearing at any specific time interval, and only hear about it when the users can't login any longer (or we happen to open the config and it isn't there).

We add the account back, save the configuration, and yet still, it disappears again.

You have WCS, NCS or prime that might be removing the account? Any snmp configured?

-Scott

I found the answer, thank you for all your help.

The answer is... I'm an idiot.

Well... What was the problem. I'm curious:)

-Scott

Well, I was trying to not admit my stupid mistake but ok...

So we have about 16 controllers, all over the world, I've configured this a number of times, and for some reason, I don't know why the initial account disappeared, but every time I was re-adding the account, I kept mistakenly putting the timeout value for the authentication, in the account configuration, thus the account disappeared when it timed out.

I have no idea why I couldn't see the trees for the forest (reversed on purpose) in this situation, just blinded by my own configuration I guess....

Thus... all my fault.  Thank you for your attempts to help, I'm just blind the last few days.

Ah okay... Well at least you solved your own issue. Good job and thanks for posting your answer!

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: