cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What happens if 3700 with WSSI module is connected to 802.3af PoE port?

GARY HAHN
Level 1
Level 1

I know that the 3700 itself will drop to 3x4 MIMO if it only gets 15.4W of power (takes 16.8 with 4x4).  If I add in a WSSI module, I know that is not enough power to run the WSSI module.  We'd like to deploy our APs with the module installed and light up WSSI only as we get 802.3at power available.  What I don't know is if the AP will light up as 3x4 with WSSI disabled, or if the AP will just completely fail.   I should get a chance to test this soon, but if you happen to know, please tell!  

Thanks!

Gary Hahn

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you have enough power to the AP, you can look at the GUI and under the main screen under Access Point Summary, you will see Dual-Band Radios... the WSSI or WSM will show up there.

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe with just 15.4w PoE, the WSSI module won't power up.

GARY HAHN
Level 1
Level 1

Yep, the AP w/WSSI does power up and service clients on an 802.3af port.  Not sure how to tell if the WSSI module gets powered up or not (I presume not...seems to be either a black hole in the AP status on the WLC UI, or it's not intuitive).

On 802.3at port, the AP draws 16.8W without WSSI, or 20.7W with it.

If you have enough power to the AP, you can look at the GUI and under the main screen under Access Point Summary, you will see Dual-Band Radios... the WSSI or WSM will show up there.

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card