Views
Helpful
Replies

what is the signal strength for AP 1832

long.zhao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, all,

We are using AP 1832 in our office. I test the signal strength by some mobile app. When my mobile phone is much closed to the AP, the best signal is only 23 dBm,  is it normal or too weak?

If I do the same test in home, a cheap AP, the strength is around 10 dBm.  So I think our AP 1832 signal is not strong enough. Could I change it?

We have 6 AP in our office.

Kind regards,

Long

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No you are good, -23 dBm is very strong RSSI.

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

long.zhao
Level 1
Level 1

NO answer for such simple question?

ammahend
VIP
VIP

23dBm = 200mWatt , that the highest power your AP can transmit (excluding antenna gain and cable loss if any)

so if you are seeing 23dBm transmit power of AP, it too much already.

the cheap AP at your home can support 10 dBm =  10 milliWatts only.

what you mentioned above is the total transmit power of AP, Power received by client is measure by term called RSSI and its in negative, because of power loss in the medium

Generally speaking, If you are using Voice over wireless -67dBm (0.0000001995262315milli Watt) is considered good standard value at cell edge, for data -72 dBm is considered acceptable at cell edge.

I hope this clears your query

**rate helpful ports**

-hope this helps-

Thank a lot for your answer. 

My question is 1mm to AP 1832,  the RSSI is only -23dMb. But for my home AP, it could reach to -10dMb

Could I change the AP signal better?

Thanks

No you are good, -23 dBm is very strong RSSI.

-hope this helps-
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card