cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What product replaces a Cisco 1410 bridge?

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at replacing an aging pair of 1410 bridges that are linking a three mile span, one building on top of a hill, the other down in the valley.  I see the product is now EOL and EOS, so now what?

Looks like we're being pushed in the direction of this product:  AIR-XLTC50DA31AK9

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using the Cisco mesh product for point to point links....

Thanks in advance!

10 Replies 10

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The AIR-XLTC50DA31AK9 should work for what you are looking to do.  I've played with the 155x in P2P mode, and yes it does work but you are limited on the antennas you can use.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Looks like I will have to look at what antennas are supported in P2P mode.  I have four brand new units in boxes that were purchased for a project that never started.

If the XLT product worked with WCS/Prime, that would be great.

Thanks,
Tim

I read CAPWAP in CAPWAP is not supported.

Site (campus) is remote - so it does not have a controller.  It has four LAPs, and they join a controller that is 1000 miles away over the WAN.

Site has two buildings that are three miles apart.  The 1410 bridge solution is failing, and is EOL and EOS. 

I read CAPWAP in CAPWAP is not supported, so I am wondering if I can even use 1552s for the solution.  If I used a pair of mesh nodes in P2P mode, they'll be connected to a controller.  When the local remote LAPs boot up, they'll need to build a CAPWAP tunnel to the controller, so that would be a tunnel inside a tunnel.

Anyone know if that kills the scenario?

I sure like the 1400 and 1300. Im sad to see them go. We just bought a few spares. Very relutant to move away from them if i dont have to ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

BTW -- Hi Tim .. Happy Holidays

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Happy Holidays to you as well!!

Our link is failing and we don't have anyone on site qualified to look at it, so i'm going to jump on a plane and go look at it.  I believe the antennas are parabaloids, installed by others.  The link is three miles, so I am thinking that I might be able to use a pair of Yagi antennas instead and get better alignment since the dishes are probably wobbling around in the winter wind.  My best guess, anyway.  They're a pain to align.  Any suggestions?

Not sure if the mesh nodes will work since I'll need to have LAPs in buildings that will need to talk to a remote controller.

Have you looked into the Exalt links?

I dont like the controller handling ptp links. Thats just me .. 3 miles you can hit with a yagi fo sure .. No, I have not looked at the exalts. I know they couldnt do Point to Multi Point there for a bit.. I think that has been a feature added recently. But dont cash that check ..

Since I have never worked on the 1410s, I am wondering if there is a quick way to see what speed the link has negotiated.

I found three things that may have affected the link.

The link is three miles, but line of site is not perfect.  Antennas appear to be aligned properly.

At the remote site, there were two access points with 5 GHz radios on the same channel as the P2P link.

There was also something else (presumably p2p link) on that channel out in town at -84

I moved our p2p link to a channel 153 since we were on 161, and that was the same channel as someone else.

I moved the two access points to channel 36 and 44.  At least they won't compete for airtime.

I'm looking to see what speed the link is negotiated to... any chance you have the command handy?

GUI into the 1410. 

You will be in the 'home' tab.  Network Interfaces you see the Radio0-802.11A and its TX rate.  Click on the radio and you get the status page.

select the detailed status tab and you can observe the packet stats for each avail data rate.

You could also CLI in and do a show tech..

Tried a P2P with 1522's and tunnel in a tunnel made things a bit slow..  Mine were at the end of a MW link and if the latency bumped up, the map would drop out of the wlc. 

replaced the whole thing with RADWIN's

dlr

I've worked with he exalts and various other manufactures... If your going to do long haul, you really need to look at their calculator to actually see what speeds you will be getting.  Just because they support 160mbps half-duplex, doesn't mean you will achieve that rate.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: