cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When an LWAPP AP joins a secondary controller, what happens to its config?

denizyaran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I manage a few 5508 and 7510 controllers. They are all in the same Mobility group but do not have matching AP and Flexconnect groups. 

APs are configured with primary and secondary controllers.

My question is, when the primary WLC goes down and APs join the secondary WLC. Do the APs get a new config? Or do they retain they WLAN and VLAN settings etc? They are all FlexConnect.

Cheers,

Serge.

4 Replies 4

Moin Ilyas
Level 4
Level 4

During an AP Stateful Switchover (SSO), all the AP sessions statefully switch over and all the clients are deauthenticated and reassociated with the new active controller except for the locally switched clients in the FlexConnect mode.

For more details, please refer: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-6/configuration-guide/b_cg76/b_cg76_chapter_01110000.html

Hope that helps.

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

The AP waits for the heartbeat time set, which is 30 seconds by default, to detect the failure of the primary WLC. After this period of time, the AP sends heartbeat messages seven more times, one per second, in efforts to find the primary WLC. If the AP does not hear from the primary WLC, the AP registers to an available WLC via the default process. Therefore, the process to detect the primary WLC failure and register to the secondary WLC takes approximately 80 seconds. Once the access point joins the secondary controller, it continues to send the discovery request to the primary controller in order to determine if the primary controller is back in operation. This can be determined with the help of the debug lwapp client packet command.

Note: The heartbeat message is similar to a keepalive message. The AP heartbeat is set to 30 seconds by default. You can adjust this heartbeat time, down to 1 second. However, if you have not made this adjustment since the last time that the AP heard from the WLC, 30 seconds pass before the AP realizes that it cannot reach the WLC.

Thanks guys, I was however looking for a specific answer. If the secondary controller doesn't have the same ap group and flex connect group as the first controller, does the ap inherit a new config or continues to use it's config that was pushed by the first controller? Do both controller have to have identical configs? Cheers. Serge.

denizyaran
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks guys, I was however looking for a specific answer. If the secondary controller doesn't have the same ap group and flex connect group as the first controller, does the ap inherit a new config or continues to use it's config that was pushed by the first controller? Do both controller have to have identical configs? Cheers. Serge.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: