cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which one take precedence wired or wireless?

jazzzz
Level 1
Level 1

Just migrated some of my users from wired network to wireless network. Both wired and wireless are on different segment.

So of them still prefer to connect via wired while sitting at their cubicle and at the same time their wireless card is also turned on. Which means now they have both wired and wireless ip address.

When i ping both ip address from my desk, theres a reply. From a network point of view, when the user is accessing the network, packets will go thru via wireless or wired network ?

Tks..

4 Replies 4

zaqtivi
Level 1
Level 1

if you have a wireless network adapter and a 'regular' network adapter all plugged in at the same time (and you are using win98, winme, or win2k), the 'regular' network adapter will be used.

however, when you are using winxp, it would ask you if you want to create a 'network bridge' that would logically connect your 2 network adapters.

i hope this helps!

Not applicable

you have a good idea there about how 'network bridge' operates.

But for some reasons,do you know when and how will you apply the "network bridge"???

Im curious to know about the network bridge too. Is it automatically bridge when you connect both wireless network and "regular" network ?

no, not automatically. in win xp, you'll be asked if you want to bridge those two (wireless and wired) LAN segments

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: