cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Who knows what the USB ports of AP2800 and AP3800 do?

I can check the doc from cisco and find the usb of AP2800 can provide power to other devices.

Cisco Aironet 2800 and 3800 Series APs have a USB port that can act as a source of power for some USB devices. The power can be up to 2.5W; if a USB device draws more than 2.5W of power, the USB port shuts down automatically. The port is enabled when the power draw is 2.5W and lower.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-8/config-guide/b_cg88/ap_power_and_lan_connections.html#info_ap_usb_port_as_power_source

QQ图片20210312174501.png

I want to know if it can only power other devices? Can the device be used as an external storage through the USB port, or upgrade the AP by plugging in the USB?

Thx a lot !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
14 Replies 14

According to the "Getting Started Guide", The USB port does not have any software support at this time. Check out the guide below:

Cisco Aironet 2800 Series Access Points, Getting Started Guide - Cisco

Getting Started Guide - Cisco Aironet 3800 Series Access Points - Cisco

Spooster IT Services Team

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

May be for now do not support any usage, Maybe new release code they may use for software upgrade or maybe otehr usage - for now there is no clarity.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before the 4800 was released, one of the intention was to use the short-lived AIR-BLE-USB-10.  

Sorry for the late reply, thank you for your reply.
At present, it seems that this USB interface is not very useful, only waiting for new functions to go online.

yes correct, if Cisco wants to utilise it later in the future.

BB

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The easy answer is "nothing".  It does nothing and probably will never do anything.  You would have to wait and see, but I think after they announce the end of sale, there will be limited features that will be introduced to the ap until it becomes end of support.  You never know, but I think they are focusing on the newer 91x0 access points and not much on the existing x802 ap's.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

It sounds reasonable, after all, a new wireless architecture has now been introduced. Maybe AireOS will be phased out, we will wait and see.

May be IOS XE can get better to use that USB port

BB

Yes, but designing this USB on AP2800/3800 seems a bit tasteless.Haha~

So far, I haven't seen how useful it is.

Future communication with Mars most likely!

As others have said, it will probably never have use because we can see wireless smart config all around us in Cisco  competitors. That is way forward.

Haha, it may be a pre-set function, if needed, it may be developed at any time

You know they have tested that internally but never officially supported it after the release:) What I remember is that these would most likely be used for external ble beacons.
-Scott

AireOS is going to be phased out. There already has been statements released on that. If you look, the also released the end of sale for the 3504 and 5520 already. You just have to keep an eye out for when software and hardware support ends.
-Scott

Thanks for Scott's reply

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card