cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does wpa-psk only work with numbers in autonomous 1140?

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

I know it seems rather simple, but for some reason when I try to configure my autonomous 1140, it does not work unless I use numbers.

If I put in my phone number as my key, I can authenticate just fine.  When I change it to some random letters and numbers, nada.

Here's my config:

dot11 ssid MySmallOffice

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii 7 0250570E5E5059751D1F5A

Am I missing something?

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

when you are putting the key in, are you calling wpa-psk ascii 0 < key >?

the 1142 I have runnign in my house has upper, lower, special and numbers and it works like a champ.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I have tried everything!  Using the zero, not using the zero, etc.  Only numbers work!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I know it seems rather simple, but for some reason when I try to configure my autonomous 1140, it does not work unless I use numbers.

Sorry, just want to make sure I get you correctly, when you configure the WAP, did which method did you enter your password:

1.   wpa-psk ascii 7 0250570E5E5059751D1F5A

or

2.  wpa-psk ascii yipee_ka-yay!

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Are you configuring the unit via the cli or gui, wpa supports upper, lower case and special carracters.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the message that you get when you try to configure letters in the PSK? any messages?

You can put a screen shot. That can help.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If  you access the AP via the GUi, click on security, then SSID manager and  then on the ? on the left side you will be able to check on this  information.

WPA Pre-shared Key

To  support client devices using static  WEP keys                and WPA  key management, you must configure a pre-shared  key on  the                access point. Enter the key and choose the  appropriate  radio button to specify if you are entering hexadecimal or  ASCII  characters.

If  you use hexadecimal, you must enter 64  hexadecimal character to  complete the 256-bit key. If you use ASCII,  you must enter a minimum of  8 letters, numbers, or symbols, and the  access point expands the key  for you. You can enter a maximum of 63  ASCII characters.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: