Views
Helpful
Replies

Wi-Fi Installation in large property W/Cisco 2504

masdesign1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an interesting job where i am having to fit a wifi network through a large property. I was advised to use the Cisco 2504 WLC and 9 x Cisco AIR-AP1142N access points.

I know that out of the box the AP's (in standalone versions) have the GUI enabled.

Not being completley up with CLI etc, is the WLC GUI enabled straight out of the box? if not, is it complicated to get it up and running? I'm pretty good at learning/understanding these things just as long as i have a rough idea of what to do!

Thanks in advance,

Josh                  

12 Replies 12

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default you need to connect to the console port, and run through the configuration wizard there first.  But once that is done, only takes a few mintues, you have access to the GUI

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Keep in mind when ordering access point you can purchase them in capwap or autonomous.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

masdesign1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your amazingly fast responses!

This is the product code i was planning on ordering....

AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9 should i infact order

AIR-LAP1142N-S-K9?

Bear in mind this is for a UK deployment.

Thanks,

Josh

For UK, you should order

AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5861/product_data_sheet0900aecd80537b6a_ps6087_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

masdesign1
Level 1
Level 1

Thats what i was thinking

But, does that mean it's capwap or autonomous as the previous comment suggested.... or is that irrelvant?

This is the first one of these installs ive done so it's all a bit new!

For the most part it is irrelevant.  You can convert the AP between CAPWAP and IOS easily enough.

But if you are planning on using a WLC, I would order the LAP version and have it be CAPWAP by default.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thats great, Thanks steve.

I have the Controller (although AP's are still on order - out of stock ) but i have one final question before i start to set it up!

I'm looking at this guide: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/2500/quick/guide/ctr2504_q_s.html#wp34023 and it talks about Management interface. I presume the management IP address would be the fixed ip of the controller if you like.

So if i had a network with a DHCP server. The Router/Server was 192.168.2.1 and the DHCP range started from .10, i could set this to be 192.168.2.2 with the router of the management interface to be .2.1. I then could set the VLAN id to be 0 as i don't need a seperate managment lan (it's only for a house afterall, and if i lock it down with passwords it should be fine).

With the Management Port, i presume that can be the port that connects into the main PoE Switch, similalry the Management DHCP server would be 192.168.2.1?

Virtual Gateway IP address i guess is irelevant as there will be no mobility group?

And DHCP bridging, like on any other wifi system/AP would be 'No' as the Router will be dealing with all DHCP requests?

Thanks again for your fantastic help so far!

Josh

Hi,

LAP  in the part number stands for lighweight AP.

AP stands for Autonomous.

management port can be set at your preference, with a backup port.

Virtual IP is also for WebAuth with DNS gateway reservation, VPN termination, and is used on the DHCP process

how about you try this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.2/configuration/guide/cg_ports_interfaces.html#wp1194487

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to help out Steve:)

Yes you can set the management to 2.2 as long as no other device is using this address. If the wireless users will be placed on a different vlan, then make sure the on the switch, you only allow the vlans that you have defined on the WLC. So that would be the management vlan and any dynamic interfaces vlans you configure on the WLC. If you are not doing QoS, then you can leave the management interface tagged as 0. If you want to use QoS then tag the management interface. When you don't tag the interface, you need to specify the native vlan on the trunk ports.

You need to define the VIP so make sure it's non routable in your network.... This is mandatory.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for this. Again the support provided on here makes choosing Cisco a great decision! However, just a little question, the VIP... is this required even to get the GUI active? Thats all i'm really after doing. Programming it through CLI until i can get on the admin interface to programm it on GUI.

On the link i listed above there is nothing listed about VIP?

Thanks,

Josh

You mentioned the following

Virtual Gateway IP address i guess is irelevant as there will be no mobility group?

When you go throught the startup wizard, you will need to dfine the VIP address which is required.  So just choose any non routable ip address for this.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

For example 10.10.10.1?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card