Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi Design Requirement Suggestion for Villas and Apartments

CiscoWiFiGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

We have a client who is managing a community of villas and Apartments ( around 300 villas and 500 apartments) and its a big site including Outdoor areas.

They have asked our suggestions to design WiFi and one of them seems very strange requirement ; they want to have dedicated SSID for Each villa and Each Apartment so lets say we are talking about 800 SSID's.

Their Main concern is if we have single SSID broadcasted then Lets say villa 1 user could have a wifi connection from villa 2 and user can also play any contents on Villa 2 TV which is also having WiFi.

As per my experience , we can have RF profile to do this job and to limit the AP power levels so that its not been heard on any other villa and that's how we can broadcast single SSID and with RF profile we can make sure to limit/minimize the signal bleeding into other villas. This will be simpler rather than creating 800 SSID's and then make AP groups to add each villa access point in group and broadcast dedicated SSID in villa. But knowing the fact that with Single SSID Broadcasted for all villas , its client decision where to connect so to this point , i think client's concern is somehow true.

But do you have some better suggestion to propose or this is the only way to proceed. And what will be your approach if you are facing this question.

Also they want to have control on Wifi , like if they want to change the password , they should have flexibility of changing it. They dont want to call Support Department and tell them to change. So Please guide me also how this can be achieved as i am scratching my head on this requirement also

As a platform , We are going to suggest them Cisco 9800 wlan controller with 9115i and 9130 access points.

Please Share your views/Suggestions and experience for this kind of scenario.

@Scott Fella @Leo Laohoo 

@Rasika Nayanajith

@Sandeep Choudhary

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That is a tough one without really having more discussion. You can create an ap groups per villa or apt, but that would be painful to manage unless you can automate changes.
Seems like just provide free internet and reduce the effort. To have manage vs single gust SSID, it’s time over x amount of year. Again, have the discussion and call out pros and cons.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Scott Fella, yes i have also came across this kind of requirement for the first time . Going to have some more discussion with client and lets see how it goes. You are right , it will take lot of time in doing that and then it will be very difficult to manage . Let me get more more Q&A's on this requirement and i will update forum for everyone's knowledge sharing / experience and lets see how we can fine tune their requirement into best optimal solution.

Cheers.

Thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@CiscoWiFiGuy wrote:

They have asked our suggestions to design WiFi and one of them seems very strange requirement ; they want to have dedicated SSID for Each villa and Each Apartment so lets say we are talking about 800 SSID's.

Their Main concern is if we have single SSID broadcasted then Lets say villa 1 user could have a wifi connection from villa 2 and user can also play any contents on Villa 2 TV which is also having WiFi.

I have a suggestion that will solve all of this:  Dedicated username/password.

@Leo Laohoo, you mean to say having dedicated local username and password on controller for villa Users & family members?.

if this is what you are referring then yes it could be one workaround although that's tough to manage but it will be one time job.

Just out of curiosity ,

how many local username and passwords we can have on 9800 wlc ( My rough guess for villa & Apartment users is around 3000 Users).

How many WLAN on 9800

How many AP Groups on 9800

And can we have per user bandwidth restriction enforcement in this scenario?? like i want to allow more bandwidth to VIP Villa user and lesser Bandwidth to Community Employee users etc. As if i am enforcing this , it will be global on SSID so each Senior MGMT and Employee will have same bandwidth .

Also is there any possibility of enforcing AVC profile on per user basis ?  ( I think No)

AVC is also global on SSID level change.

We are going to meet client and will have some more questions. Will update you all if there is other complex requirement.

Cheers.

Thanks,

Waqas

@CiscoWiFiGuy wrote:

@Leo Laohoo, you mean to say having dedicated local username and password on controller for villa Users & family members?.

Each resident has a username -- Something unique to that apartment or villa.  Go to any hotel with free WiFi, it is the same thing -- Something to "separate" a hotel guest from non-guest. They enter the tenant's last name and a password.  Done.  And here is a PLUS to this plan:  In retirement village, it is very easy for tenants to misplace or forget where they left their wireless devices.  If each resident are given specific username, then it is very easy to track down WHERE the wireless device was last seen.  

Let us say that the tenant does not know how to enter their credential correctly, then use a QR code for instance.

@CiscoWiFiGuy wrote:

how many local username and passwords we can have on 9800 wlc ( My rough guess for villa & Apartment users is around 3000 Users).

FreeRADIUS, for instance, can be used.  There is even a version for Raspberry Pi (GUI or CLI).

@CiscoWiFiGuy wrote:

And can we have per user bandwidth restriction enforcement in this scenario?? like i want to allow more bandwidth to VIP Villa user and lesser Bandwidth to Community Employee users etc. As if i am enforcing this , it will be global on SSID so each Senior MGMT and Employee will have same bandwidth .

Dot1X is the answer. 

Cisco ISE, Aruba ClearPass, etc. has this product already in the market.  

One SSID required.  The username will determine whether the wireless client is staff or "guest".   AD will dictate what bandwidth to dish out.  

Just keep in mind that either using ssid or login, that is the same amount of management especially if you are changing anything. Also keep in mind that devices will connect to a preferred access point, usually the closer one. I still do not see any benefits of having an ssid per villa/apt or a login per villa/apt. Your internet is shared so just have one guest ssid that is shared so that guest can roam around and enjoy the wireless. You would have other SSID’s for employees and maybe one more for something else. The data sheet will have the max info for everything. If I recall, 4096 max wlans and for ap groups, it is the number of wlans defined.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Regarding the TV requirement. If they are somewhat modern TVs with built-in Chromecast, I think they don't need to be connected to the Wi-Fi, you can simply select them on your tablet/phone if you're in reach of the TV and the feature is enabled.

That would probably solve this requirement. 

Grendizer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Regarding (playing guests devices contents to their TVs and not to other TVs) requirement, check https://beyondtv.com/guestcast/

@Grendizerthats an interesting option .

Could you please let me know if its recommended 3rd party by Cisco and By any chance can you please share any Cisco whitepapers or case study link on this product , that will help us a lot.

No, there is no relationship between Cisco and them and the is no whitepaper or document from Cisco regarding this product, it simply an option to you that will work with Cisco Wireless Infra using mDNS Chromecast.

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, Have you explored iPSK based solution for this, this requires Radius preferably ISE.

Mithojaan
Level 1
Level 1

How would we design our WiFi inclusion?
Good result for WiFi Plan Necessity Idea for Villas and Apartments. We did this arrangement in all our apartments in Istanbul.
Arranging and Expectation
Limit Your SSIDs. A successful WiFi configuration attempts to limit remote wandering however much as could reasonably be expected by downplaying the quantity of SSIDs.
Utilize Double Band Gear. Current WiFi gadgets are not restricted to only the 2.4 GHz band.
Carry out Burden Adjusting.
Make Security Your Need.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card