cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi Dropping

Rsbell
Level 1
Level 1

WiFi is dropping on our public wifi every 15 minutes - automatically disconnects the user. There are two wifi profiles setup, visitor and psk. Is there an area on cisco controller where this setting might be setup? If so, where? It is a cisco 5520 controller.

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

once 15min the user disconnect, is the user connect automatically ? what you see in the WLC Logs ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is "Enable Session Timeout" turned on?

Yes it is - we have it set to 32400 sec as the session timeout. But does this mean it will timeout if the user is currently doing anything and the PC goes into standby / or windows lock screen? Or regardless of if you are working or not, it automatically kicks you off after 32400 sec.

Enable Session Timeout means after 32400 seconds the controller will kick the user off the network whether or not the wireless client is active or not.

image.png

Session Timeout means he will be disconnected after that time.
More details: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/wlan_timeouts.html
The other one is client idle timeout, after which the client will be disconnected if it was idle.

Rsbell
Level 1
Level 1

So here is my issue - User is stating that when connecting to public wifi on their mobile devices everything works for about 15 mins or so then automatically disconnects. They receive the following error. Any suggestions what I should be looking for with either in the WLC or the AP? Public wifi is a county set wifi and it is only happening at one particular site.

image.png

This is my visitor network setup -

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Configuration here looks about correct.
What have you configured under Security - Layer3 and AAA?

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

This also looks fine to me.
Does it only affect Apple users or also other (laptop) users?
It might be the Apple Mac-Address randomization feature, although that shouldn't change the MAC once you are connected.
Can you run a 'debug client [mac-address-of-client]' on the WLC and post the result here, once this issue happens again?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: