cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi Fast Roaming

rlaudiano
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2504 WLC with 3602 APs and have tried configuring FastTransition 802.11r but I am still suffering from disconnects using Skype, Viber, SIP when roaming between APs. Obviously, my limited knowledge in configuration is the problem. Can anyone suggest or direct me to a link of a sample working configuration that I can use as a reference. A sample config for the video below would be great. Thanks 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m1gd3EFtydI

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

802.11r is a feature and will not fix roaming issues per say.  Fast roaming can help speed up roaming, but for example it you add a test SSID that is open and roaming still does not work as expected, then it's either your AP placements not ideal or a misconfiguration on the wireless. With on open SSID, there is no need to fast roaming features. At least this will give you a good idea of the application running on an open SSID and how that compares to when you use encryption. 

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

hi scott, so i created an open ssid and used skype while roaming around and it works, no dropouts, no hiccups, everything (video and audio) was smooth so it's safe to say that AP placements is not a problem. now how can i apply these same seamless roaming with security? So far i have done WPA2/PSK and WPA2/FT-PSK and all these have some disconnect problems.

Well I would try 802.1x first, then add CCKM and then 802.11r.  You can setup a local user on the controller for testing. Then setup your test SSID for WPA2/AES and 802.1x. If you don't have a radius server, then use local EAP using PEAP on the controller:

http://mrncciew.com/2013/04/21/configuring-local-eap-on-wlc/

Test again with just 802.1x, then try CCKM then last try 802.11r. 

This setup will probably benefit you better than using PSK.

-Scott

-Scott

hi scott, so i was able to create an SSID with 802.1x and 802.11r/k and was able to roam fine without disconnection to different APs but one device roams from one AP to another AP and then loses connectivity. Only way to get connectivity back is to turn wifi off and on again but as soon as it roams to another AP it loses connectivity again. any idea why?

also, i have setup a separate open SSID with L3 web-authentication and roaming is very good but problem is i keep on de-authenticated after 30mins and have to re-login again. I have enabled sleeping clients but it doesn't seem to work or my configuration sucks. i have not changed anything from the default values for this wlan. any recommendation?

What device is having issues?  Tell us the NIC card and driver?  It can be because it may not fully support 802.11r.  When enabling .r, check the FT but don't use over the DS. On the bottom part of the WLAN setting make sure you have FT 802.1x and test again.  Then if you still have issues, try removing 802.11r (disable FT) and use CCKM.  

As far as webauth is concerned, disable the session timer and test again. Let us know what device is having issues.  

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card