Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi in a Multi Story Car Park

ross_rulz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Can someone please help me on what access points I should use in a multi story car park?

The environment is not the greatest as its full of concrete. I'm not sure what type of access point to use.

The access points will be connecting back to a 5508 WLC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ross.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What I have done in the past in outdoor garage with multi-floors is use an AP that has external antennas. I would either use a 1260 or 3500e now a days for this. The thing is that the garage we have done has a wiring closet that is heated and cooled due to weather. AP's would be installed in a NEMA enclosure in these closets and we ran LMR cable out to the antenna. Depending on the distance from the AP to antenna, different LMR cable was used. Usually we were able to keep the runs short and the longest run was about 350 feet. Antennas again will vary depending on what you want. I normally would use the smallest profile antenna and mount it either on a concrete beam closer to the rear of a parked vehicle in case you get those trucks that might scrap the beam. I like the single antenna that has six connections for these type of AP's. I have used Sparco Technologies in the past because they would re terminate the ends of the antenna cables to what we wanted and was able to design a NEMA enclosure that had the connections for antenna, console and Ethernet port where we wanted.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott appreciate your help.

Ross.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The main problem with multi-storey car parks are two things:  Thick concrete and all the metal around (from the vehicles).

802.11n would be a good choice because of the way the signal propagates (or bounces) off the metal, however, I would be looking at the way the APs are installed.

I'd recommend the WAPs be installed not on the cavity but on the horizontal concrete beams and preferably ABOVE the height of the vehicles.  I'm not a big fan of the rubber duck/rubber duckie antenna because of vandals but I would also recommend patch antennas.  I am also in favour of putting 1040, 1140 or even 3500 in.  CleanAir is suitable for because of the proliferation of bluetooth devices.

Your other issue is the location of the wiring closet for the switch.  Multi-level car parks are notorious for space hogs.  Every square inch/metre is dedicated for a vehicle so finding a place to put a PoE switch with fibre optic run back to the main Data Room is going to be a challenge.  Next, as Scott has pointed out, cooling it and ensure that it's secure is another thing.  Talking about security, you also need to consider running the cable from the WAP to the floor switch to be inside a conduit pipe to prevent tampering and/or vandalism.   To ensure that no one will "notice" the WAP present, you have the option of turning off the LED light of the WAP. 

Thanks Leolaohoo appreciate your help as well.

Ross.

Hi Leo,

Could you advise what would be the best patch antenna for this environment?

Thanks,

Ross.

Could you advise what would be the best patch antenna for this environment?

I don't know about Scott or George but I won't give you a "you-must-have-this" because your physical environment is vastly different to ours, however, look at the link below:

Consider the following items:

1.  If you want to put 802.11n WAP with external antenna, then your choices are 1260 or the 3500e.  The 3500e requires a WLC;

2.  If you are going for 802.11n WAP, look for patch antenna which comes with either 3 or 6 pigtail/RP-TNC antenna.  That way you purchase LESS units and cabling is "neater".

3.  Pay close attention to each models' "footprint" or veritcal and horizontal azimuth plane.

4.  If you are planning for external antenna, you need to think about ensuring the antenna cable won't be tampered.  Think about the cost it will take to put a conduit or getting a WAP with internal antenna.   There is no harm in mixing internal-antenna WAP with external-antenna WAP.  Which brings me to point #5.

5.  If you plan to purchase 3500, then make sure you use ALL 3500 throughout your deployment.  Mixing them will null or minimize the benefit of CleanAir.

6.  IF you are using either 1260 or 3500 WAP, do not choose an antenna > 6 dBi.

7.  Look for omni-directional.  Don't bother looking at the Yagi, dish or "disco sticks". 

Thanks for the ratings. 

Thanks for all your help Leo appreciate it.

Ross.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: