Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi in metalwork

kapydan88
Level 4
Level 4

Hello for everybody.

We are going to design and implement wifi network in a metal structure, which is several tanks for storing process fluids. At this moment, the main task is to cover the wifi network of the upper part of the structure:
Height - about 35 meters;
Width - about 25 meters;
Length - about 100 meters.

In this regard, the question arose - will one 1562E access point with external AIR-ANT2588P3M-N antenna on each side be enough for this task, will such a device cover the upper part of the structure or not?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant2588p3m-n.html

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  Get a wireless site survey , to investigate and accomplish sufficient coverage for the designated area.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for answer.

Unfortunately, this structure itself is not there yet - it will be built in a year and a half, but the project is required now...

- That assertion is meaningless. The intended building must be ready or near ready as far as 'heavy structures' is concerned, then the survey must be done and then the ap's can be placed accordingly and or the correct models/antenna's can be chosen.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

100 meters or actually 50, is a long distance for a single AP. Of course antennas play a big role, but I'd plan for at least one more AP in the middle. This is just a very rough guess, a site survey is considerably better and my suggestion. So far we haven't even talked about what Wi-Fi quality you need, just some sensor data every few seconds or more like IP telephony or other real time data. That makes a huge difference in the required signal quality. 

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On top what @marce1000 added, I would say at this stage plan for the worse, 1562E will be soon announced EOS once 9124 becomes mainstream, So my advise would be to go with 9124, plan for the worst case scenario, have some spare antennas and AP's, use some wireless planners like Ekahu, Air Magnet and try to visualize the predictive coverage, if you are designing for a customer keep them informed and be transparent, if you are working for a partner you may also speak to your Cisco SE and involve competitive support teams or any other internal Cisco teams to get better advise.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where is the switch located in this design?

We plan to install two catalyst poe switches in heated boxes at opposite ends of this construction.

That is an expensive design and may not work properly.

Put the heated box in the middle and save half the cost.  The good thing about this (against putting the boxes at the end of the silos) is the cable distance.

Unfortunately, this is a requirement from the part of the customer's managers...

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

I agree with everyone in this post about performing a site survey is a must in such scenario, not only about the antennas you need but also for the configuration (short guard, low power, disable higher data rates, support only OFDM rates, mandate 6Mbps,...).

But I understand some customers use to ask for a budget approach.

My recommendation, as this seems to be an indoor deployment, go with the C9120AXE plus AccelTex antennas.

I've been validating a previous predictive and physical design using ATS-OHDP-245-13-4NJ-IC in both sides of the aisle (110 meters) and ATS-OP-245-13-4RPTP-36 in the middle to increase redundancy and it looks pretty fine.

Your problem would be installing such ATS-OP-245-13-4RPTP-36 in the middle of a 100m height aisle not because of the heigh itself but because I haven't tested it with this requirement

Is the site like a robotic silo? Where is located the antenna of the receivers (in such robotic silos it use to be in the side so signal from top is almost useless? If this is the case, you only need to provide connectivity on the sides, not from the top.

Most important thing here is to let your customer know that this is an approach and the final design could vary from the prediction when everything would be in place, not only racks but also goods and the client devices.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please rate helpful responses ***

Thanks for answer.

My recommendation, as this seems to be an indoor deployment, go with the C9120AXE plus AccelTex antennas. - unfortunately, we can use only cisco devices for this site (access points, antennas, controllers etc). According to the data sheet, this point is indoor, and according to the plan it should be placed in outdoor - is it possible?

Is the site like a robotic silo? Where is located the antenna of the receivers (in such robotic silos it use to be in the side so signal from top is almost useless? If this is the case, you only need to provide connectivity on the sides, not from the top. - as i know it isnt. All the information I have at the moment is that there should be a wifi on the top of this silo

For the AP model you're right 9120AXE is an indoor AP for hard environments, so for outdoors go with C9124 then.

In the case of antennas try the Cisco stadium antennas (AIR-ANT2513P4M-N) with similar gain than that from AccelTex.

Jesus, if i understood you correctly, you mean next one C9124AXE-x: Cisco Catalyst 9124AX Series (External antenna)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/nb-06-cat9124-ser-ap-ds-cte-en.html

about antennas

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant2588p3m-n.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant2513p4mn.html

I considered these two models and settled on AIR-ANT2588P3M-N as having wider radiation pattern. It is possible to consider antenna AIR-ANT2513P4M-N in the particular case of installing two access points from two sides of the upper level of the silo, so that they shine exactly on the passages along the top level.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card