Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi only Deployment

TobiasMT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Community,

We faced the question if it would be possible to have a building running on WiFi only with no wired infrastructure to the Endusers. My company rent a new building that will mostly be used by "office users" so we are talking about data/voice traffic and less than 100 User.

As I was unsuccessful in my researches I would like to ask if anyone of you can share his experience with similar projects. I am aware of some downsites like half-duplex or less bandwidth, but maybe the cost savings overweight.

I appreciate to your stories!

BR Tobias

4 Replies 4

Mikey Boy
Level 1
Level 1

This is entirely achievable especially with a user count of around 100. The biggest issue you might have will be whether all clients are actually capable of wireless without buying new hardware.

For example, desk phones and printers may require a cable. 

From a technical perspective you would be best following the Cisco High density design guide https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-7/b_wireless_high_client_density_design_guide.html

Not all of that document is 100% relevant in a small environment but the principles are relevant.

Regards

Also have a look at this presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RAyHNN_49Q

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Don't forget, the APs need a wire, unless you buy MESH models!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@TobiasMT wrote:

We faced the question if it would be possible to have a building running on WiFi only with no wired infrastructure to the Endusers. 

Yes.  I've seen this.  The most important thing is the availability of the WiFi.  

If the WiFi coverage is done on the "cheap" then sure, it'll fail abysmally. 

Get a wireless site survey done BEFORE the site is occupied and another one AFTER the site is occupied.  

Important:  Make sure the WiFi site survey/planning is for VOICE- or RTLS grade for best guaranteed performance.

Best troubleshooting I did was a site who complained that their (very expensive) wireless headset wasn't working.  The manufacturer said that our wireless AP was attacking the headset.  Every one of them.  

And we got the "data sheet" or "deployment guide" for that particular model of headset.  In the the document it states specifically the "density" of the wireless headset per square feet/meters.  The deployment of the wireless headset was more than twice the recommended amount.  

We broke out the popcorn and watch the fireworks.  Fun times that was.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card