Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi performance on C887VA-W with iPad Air 2

user889988
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a C887VA-W with integrated AP802 (equivalent to 1140 or 3500 series AP) supporting 2x3:2 configuration as far as I know.

I'm doing speed tests from a wired FTP server on the LAN to an iPad Air 2 using 802.11n 2.4GHz. I can see the iPad associates with m15 data rate so that indicates that 2 spatial streams are used.

When doing a file transfer I can only get it as high as 26Mbit/s downstream to the iPad and similar value upstream. I also tested with iperf and got the same result.

I'm pretty sure the speed needs to be higher in the order of at least 70Mbit/s with 2 spatial streams on 2.4GHz

What is the problem?

*Please see ap config attached.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What is the problem?

The router.

The router cannot do more than 26 Mbps of traffic.  See attachment.

Hi Leo,

I know about that document but I don't believe that's the reason in this case. Reason being is that I've had this router do 74Mbps inter-vlan routing with NAT enabled.

user889988
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, success.

I think that I've figured this one out on my own and gathered some very interesting info.

I've now tested with a laptop featuring a Broadcom BCM943228HM4L 2x2 wifi chipset connecting with m15 data rate (writing to its fast SSD) and was able to achieve max 34Mbps but here's the interesting part, when I enabled Clientlink, that value shot up to a consistent 70Mbps transferring a 50MB file from FTP. On the iPad it's around 40 or 50Mbps too now.

Everywhere online it states that Clientlink 1.0 is only supported on 802.11g clients connecting to this series of AP, however I now believe it must be Clientlink that also enables MIMO for 802.11n clients (unless it is Clientlink 2.0 on this AP??). It's enabled by default in a WLC but not standalone.

Maybe someone from Cisco wants to comment on this info...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: