The current wireless network in my environment is supported with WLCs (3504) and APs (2802).
A number of users are not getting the full signal strength even though the AP may be mounted directly above their desk on the ceiling (less than 4m height). A number of users experience getting only 2bars of signal strength even though the APs are located nearby in open office area. Is there any setting i can tweak on my WLC for better signal strength? The affected users are connected on a mix of 2.4 and 5 Ghz. TIA!
That is pretty odd:
What height are the APs at?
Do you know what power level they are at right now? (Wireless->802.11a or 802.11b/g to get radio status of APs)
- Power level is indicated on a scale of 1 - # (usually 1-8 but depends on AP). 1 is highest. If RRM is enabled all the 802.11b/g radios should generally be set to quite low (7 or 8) whereas 802.11a should see them as higher like 1-3 range unless the office is experiencing interference. You can change a single AP's power level on that page (blue arrow on right of screen) to test but I recommend configuring RRM globally if you want to change all radios for a band.
Is it affecting all clients or just particular types - e.g. can you stand in the same spot with your laptop and see full strength?
There's a few scenarios off the bat I can think of:
- Your AP(s) in those locations don't actually have their radios enabled so they are picking up signal from a neighbouring AP
- Your AP(s) are running on a channel your affected clients don't support e.g. UNII-2 or UNII-2E on 5 GHz
- Your clients are somehow in the dead spot of the 'donut' style RF shape from the omni APs - this is unlikely due to multipath
- Your APs are mounted too high (recommendation is 3M)
I had similar problem with Qualcomm adapters. I have directional 120º antennas and Qualcomm shows only half the signal. I replaced Qualcomm by Intel and clients now see 100% signal everywhere. In my case it was a problem with Qualcomm sensitivity.
-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-
Agree, I has a similar issue recently, the native supplicant shows full bar but anyconnect shows only 2 bar.
I did some over the air local download tests and both performed almost similar.