cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi testing tools

spfister336
Level 2
Level 2

We've just finished deploying a large number of 2802s to several remote sites with a centralized controller (5520). We also have a Prime Infrastructure server set up. Are there any tools to look at to help with troubleshooting. I'm specifically thinking of finding and identifying sources of interference. I know there are many free tools to show available networks and display signal strength.

14 Replies 14

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

There are a few site survey tools that come with spectrum analysers (make sure you select that component). The most popular are Ekahau Site Survey and Air Magnet and I'd recommend Ekahau. 

Alternatively, if you have the resources you can place an AP into Spectrum Expert mode and use that to monitor the environment around it. This provides you with an idea of air time usage and nearby interference but site survey tools often give you a more accurate and granular look into interference as well as the flexibility to wander around parts of the office.

Kind regards,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Yes, we are looking for something beyond the simple free tools. I'll check into the recommendations made here. What does everyone think of the Wi-Spy products?

Take a look at the AirMagnet suite of products. They have a spectrum analyzer and laptop analyzer that helps with data gathering for troubleshooting.  Their are other tools from NetScout like the OneTouch and AirCheck G2 that are useful. We use all of them but depending on what the issue is, depends on what tool we use. The NetScout can be access remote which is helpful as long as you have people on the field that can move the device around. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

I feel like you've missed the obvious one there, Scott! 

Wi-Spy is included with the Ekahau packages which makes it an attractive option.

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Thanks Ric... I'm use to the AirMagnet suite and we only use Ekahau for survey. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Just to make sure I'm on the right track... can someone look at the attached graph? This is what I'm seeing on an AP in an area having trouble. The point where both lines go to zero is about when I rebooted the AP. I just want to make sure the issue is external interference sources rather than some setting I need to check on the controller.

CU of <30% is not something I would be worried about.  I'd be very concern if CU was >70%. 

Check if CleanAir is enabled.

It wasn't really the utilization I was concerned about, it was more the interference

They are both tied together. You will see interfere from adjacent wireless networks along with devices that also use that band.  Both utilization and interference should be looked at but to determine what is the issue you would need a spectrum analyzer to identify the interference. CleanAir does a good job of identifying devices also in which Leo mentioned to make sure you have that enabled.

-Scott 

-Scott

CleanAir is enabled. So, the interference in that graph may not necessarily be a problem?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We've just finished deploying a large number of 2802s to several remote sites with a centralized controller (5520).

Read the Release Notes?  There are several known issues with 2800/3800 APs and some Intel-based 802.11ac wireless NICs (7260/7265/8260).  Ensure the wireless NICs drivers have been updated to the latest.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me add my 2cents. I don't know how much good info you can get with free tools. The enterprise tools do give you the best data but you pay for it. I know that inSSIDer is free and Windows store has a wifi analyzer.  You can also use an AP in SE-Connect mode:

http://www.wificert.org/cisco-spectrum-expert/

-Scott 

-Scott

Does the 2802I support SE-Connect? It doesn't show up on the controller under AP modes.

The 1802, 2802, 3802 doesn't support SE-Connect currently. You would need to get a 3602 or 3702 model in which you can just leave as a spectrum. Or you can just move that to areas which you want to review.  With SE, the AP will not support clients in that mode. 

-Scott 

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card