cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wired mDNS (bonjour gateway) support using a centralized 5508 across 3 layer sites

JAMES WAGNER
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to support wired mDNS across sites?

Scenario is as follows:

Hub site hosts the 5508 that services the hub site and 2 spoke sites separated by L3 routing.

The hub site contains the wireless subnets (Layer 2 trunk).

Hub site has wired Apple TVs that the wireless ssids need access to.

mDNS is setup and working between the wireless ssids/vlans/subnets and the wired LAN subnet at the hub site.

We now want to connect Apple TVs to the LAN subnets at the spoke sites and I can't see how to accomplish this as the 5508 has to be physically connected to the wired LAN subnet somehow...

Is there any way to do this?  I thought of purchasing a 2504, but then it would have only knowledge of the wired LAN, and not the wireless ssids/vlans/subnets.

1 Reply 1

JAMES WAGNER
Level 1
Level 1

I think I found my answer.  Has anyone actually done this?

mDNS AP

The mDNS AP feature allows the controller to have visibility of wired service providers that are on VLANs that are not visible to the

controller. You can configure any AP as an mDNS AP and enable the AP to forward mDNS packets to the controller. VLAN visibility on the

controller is achieved by APs that forward the mDNS advertisements to the controller. The mDNS packets between the AP and the controller

are forwarded in Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP) data tunnel that is similar to the mDNS packets from a

wireless client. Only CAPWAP v4 tunnels are supported. APs can be in either the access port or the trunk port to learn the mDNS packets

from the wired side and forward them to the controller.

You can use the configurable knob that is provided on the controller to start or stop mDNS packet forwarding from a specific AP. You can

also use this configuration to specify the VLANs from which the AP should snoop the mDNS advertisements from the wired side. The maximum

number of VLANs that an AP can snoop is 10.

If the AP is in the access port, you should not configure any VLANs on the AP to snoop. The AP sends untagged packets when a query is to be

sent. When an mDNS advertisement is received by the mDNS AP, the VLAN information is not passed on to the controller. The service

provider's VLAN that is learned through the mDNS AP's access VLAN is maintained as 0 in the controller.

By default, the mDNS AP snoops in native VLAN. When an mDNS AP is enabled, native VLAN snooping is enabled by default and the VLAN

information is passed as 0 for advertisements received on the native VLAN.

The mDNS AP feature is supported only on local mode and monitor mode APs.

The mDNS AP configuration is retained on those mDNS APs even if global mDNs snooping is disabled.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: