cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridging

junior.beatty
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if this is the right group to ask this question, but figured it was the best fit.  I need to extend our current LAN to a guard shack to provide VoIP and data connections.  Running a physical cable  would be cost prohibitive, I think, as it has to pass under about 100 feet of asphalt.  Thought of using a wireless bridge to extend these networks to the guard shack.  I currently have Cisco wireless running in my environment, but I think I would rather keep the extension of my LAN separate from the wireless networks.  In the guard shack I will connect to a Cisco switch to provide connectivity to a plar phone, regular configured VoIP phone and a PC.  I am interested in hearing how others have accomplished similiar situations.  I have looked a little at the Cisco 1400 Wireless Bridge as a possible solution.  Thanks for any info.

4 Replies 4

zdesignstudio
Level 4
Level 4

You need to have a RAP and a MAP.  The MAP will associate to only a RAP and then you can extend the wireless to your shack. You can also get a dedicated WGB as you mentioned. I think the WGBs come in autonomous mode so you will need to do some special config on them first.

Please rate useful posts and mark answers as correct if applicable.

Guess I forgot to add, I have a switch in the guard shack.  Not necessarily wanting to extend the wireless networks, but I do want to extend a wired network to the guard shack.

If you got a pair of autonomous AP you can do that easily, have a look below post (I have used pair of 1310 for that configuration)

http://mrncciew.com/2013/11/09/wireless-bridge-with-eap-fast/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card