Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless client unpredicatably roaming to other AP's

Steve Hart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I just recently started working in a new environment and they asked me to look at some weird wireless issues that are occuring. It is a campus environment, but all wireless issues seem to be occurring in the newest building, which just opened in May. Symptoms are extreme slowness accessing the network for a client and the client next to him has no problems at all. Also, I've been doing large file copies for testing, and on occassion I'll start out with good speed, maybe 2 Mbit/sec copy speed and in the middle of the copy with me sitting in the same spot, i'll automatically associate to another access point and it will drop to maybe 120 Kbit/sec. I was not walking around.

All AP's in the environment are 1142's and they were forced to full power on the radios.  The first thing I did to troubleshoot was turn on RRM. I would have expected some of the radios to drop power levels, but all are still at 1. Is this expected?  Do I need to reboot or reset AP's to accept the change in RRM?

Pretty much all wireless cards are Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300's running what I think are the latest drivers from Intel.

I'm centering my troubleshooting on a couple of AP's that I can pretty consistently re-create the slowness with. My testing with these AP's shows that they are able to detect like 20-25 other AP's. Is this normal? It seems to me that I should just have to turn down the radios and I should stop seeing all of these AP's. I thought RRM would have an affect, but it appears not.

I'm kind of a wireless noob, so any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I can upload any info to help, i didn't want to dump the sho run-config up here as it's pretty big..

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Steve

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All AP's in the environment are 1142's and they were forced to full power on the radios.  The first thing I did to troubleshoot was turn on RRM. I would have expected some of the radios to drop power levels, but all are still at 1. Is this expected?  Do I need to reboot or reset AP's to accept the change in RRM?

RRM will monitor every 600 seconds (default).

My testing with these AP's shows that they are able to detect like 20-25 other AP's. Is this normal?

Sounds like you have 802.11b channel interferrence to me.  Disable the 802.11b radio (just to test) and see if you get any result.   If you do, enable it back but disable 802.11b data rates.  Enable 802.11g data rates.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card