Helpful
Replies

Wireless Clients not able to get IP address

kuldeep.kaur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am trying to set up Cisco 5508 and the physical setup looks like this

5508 -> 3750 -->  3560 (POE) --> Access Point.

When I try my pc to connect to a WLAN (few configured), it is getting connected but not getting any ip address. On windows 7 machine it says it is unidentified network and have a yellow sign on the wireless status bar. Tried with different pc but same result no ip address. I have defined DHCP pool on the switch with a network statement and a default router statement. (FYI it was working before with a router on stick configuration with a switch but then we have issues with the router and replaced it with 3750 switch).

If I plug the computer via a cable I am able to get the ip address and can ping through different vlans. 

Could guys please help me out as already wasted few hours on this.

Thanks Guys.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Just not able to get DHCP via wireless. 

This is not a wireless issue.  This is a setup with the DHCP server.  What is the configuration of the Dynamic Interface?

View solution in original post

Glad to see the issue has been fixed.  

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
When I try my pc to connect to a WLAN (few configured), it is getting connected but not getting any ip address.

Lets start with something very simple.  

First, configure an SSID with OPEN authentication.  Check your Dynamic Interface tied to your SSID and make sure the DHCP scope is active.  Can you authenticate and get an IP address from that?  If you can, then you notch up the security and encryption up until you reach your ideal settings or until you break it.  

Hi Leo,

If I use no authentication under L2 and L3, it is even worse it will not connect at all. Right now I am using WPA with PreShared key.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I just tired with open authentication under L2 and L3 on WLC, as well as on my network adaptor. It connects but not able to get ip address and says limited connection.

Anything I need on the switches ?. I have tired wired connection to both switches  and the pc is picking up the ip address but not on wireless.

Thanks

More info on this guys. I am using open authentication and I have assigned ip address statically to the wireless adaptor and it is working. I can even ping other subnet on the switches. Just not able to get DHCP via wireless. 

Any clue guys ?

Thanks

Just not able to get DHCP via wireless. 

This is not a wireless issue.  This is a setup with the DHCP server.  What is the configuration of the Dynamic Interface?

Thank you very much Leo. Somone has put in a wrong DHCP server address on the WLC. Before it was blank.

Thanks again

Glad to see the issue has been fixed.  

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card