Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless controller on Cisco Catalyst 9300 and 9500 Switches

Mohammad-
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I am planning to Buy Catalyst 9300 and 9500 series of switches and planning to have controlled image on switches.

is it possible to have controller image on switches with Network Essentials and Advantage licenses.

I dont have DNA Center appliance and dont want Mobility Express feature on Access Point.

How is it possible and what are things need to take care?

Regards

Mohammad 

15 Replies 15

RosesTin
Level 1
Level 1

As I understand the Catalyst 9300 embedded controller requires DNA Centre as it's only enabled for SD-Access

"The Catalyst 9800 embedded Wireless Controller Software package will enable wireless functionality only for SD-Access deployments with two supported topologies:" (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/nb-06-cat9300-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html)

There's a AP embedded version of the 9800 (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-o6-embded-wrls-cont-ds-cte-en.html?oid=powen019337) which isn't Mobility Express but a full featured 9800.

Other than that you'd need either a hardware appliance or the 9800-CL.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You can run the controller off the switch, but it’s limited to a certain amount of AP’s. The license is purchased along with the AP’s and if you will not be using DNAc, then don’t worry about getting additional license for the wireless.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, is this definitely correct? I was told by our Cisco SE that EWC on the switches would only work as SD-Access with DNA-C and the documentation seems to support this.

It is  more interesting for certain scenarios if you can do this without DNA-C so I would be keen to know for definite.

Thanks

I was told that if you want SD-Access then you need DNAc not the other way around. DNAc is only required for all the features that DNA can provide but you don’t need DNAc if you don’t want.
-Scott

It'd be really good to have a standalone controller running on a 9300. However looking at the config guide it does say that's not possible;

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Wireless Controller software on the Cisco Catalyst 9300 switches must be provisioned and deployed on the switch using Cisco DNA Center, and it cannot be configured as a standalone controller.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/16-12/config-guide/b_wl_16_12_cg/wireless-sub-package.html

If you've details otherwise that'd be useful.

Thanks Scott for your response.

sorry to say, I am not able to understand, could you please help me to understand this scenario in deatils.

What i understand is, I dont required Dnac but i can run EWC on 9K switches? if my understand is correct could you please explain in deatils please?

You don't need DNAc to run the embedded controller on the 9k switch.
-Scott

That is news to me as I was also told I would be able to use the controller on the 9k. Anyways, I would rather have a controller like a 9800-L if you have less than 250 ap’s or go with the EWC that supports 50 to 100 AP’s depending on the model ap you have. This way you are not dependent on switch changes to break your wireless.
-Scott

Thanks Scott,

Just checked datasheet for 9K and still found and clearly mention to have EWC on 9K switch you have to Dnac mandatory!

could you please share some link or sheet to refer!

We tested the 9300’s with no DNAc tied to it. We do have DNAc but only a few devices connected. Maybe this FAQ will help.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-06-cat9800-ser-wirel-faq-ctp-en.html
-Scott

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

Hope it's not too late - just as additional info - from 17.3 version you can have functional, non-SDA embedded WLC on 9300 Catalyst, for single site deployments.

HTH,

Dragan 

HTH,
Dragan

Hello, Nice to hear that,

Is it possible for you to provide a link supporting it?

I have been searching and no results.

Regards

AJ

@Dragan Ilic  Thanks Mate for this update.

Could you please share any reference document, mentioning thet DNAC is not required to work EW on 9300 Switches?

Well - release notes for 17.3 cat 9300 should be the right place but right now it reports broken link :(

I saw that feature on presentation during PVT for Enterprise networking. Lets wait release notes to be available - in case of problem i will send complete presentation, that's the only option :)

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card