Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless does not work after migrating to new Radius (Windows NPS) system

scottcummins
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all

I have a pair of AIR-CT2504-K9 Wireless controllers. Recently We built a Windows 2016 server to replace a Windows 2008 R2 Server we use as Radius using thew Windows NPS service. When we changed the new one to the eaxct same name and IP. the wireless stopped working, when we reverted back it worked fine. I have read some articles on a possible certificate issue, Has anyone any info on this or is there another issue I am not seeing?

3 Replies 3

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

What errors do you get in event viewer on the new NPS server?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

John

Thank you for your response, I don't see anything that pertains directly to it. I have no errors, just a lot of informational messages and nothing on the NPS/RADIUS. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Yes, in the security tab of Event Viewer you should see every single authentication attempt.
Do you maybe haven't installed the correct certificate on the new NPS and afterwards selected it in the PEAP policy?
I had also an issue when I switched to Server 2016 (from 2008r2), it seems that Windows 7 and OS X use PEAP with MSChapV2 that requires TLS 1.0, Windows 10 was fine. So I've set the following two keys and rebooted the server (I guess the Server one is enough, but never tested only that one):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Server
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client
In both you have to create the two DWORD:
DisabledByDefault = 0
Enabled = 1

Otherwise set the shared secrets of the radius clients again, maybe that somehow didn't work while exporting/importing the configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: