cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Guest Account Issues

deborah.wynter
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning. We have a new wireless network that consists of the Wireless Console Systeml, two 4402 controllers and 61 - 1131 AP's. It appears that when a user logs onto the wireless guest account and connects to a particular access point, a user who may be sitting right beside him, cannot log on. We have had no luck with troubleshooting this and would like to know if anyone has had the same issue or any thoughts on this. Thanks very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Are the two users logging in with the same credentials (username & password)? If so, and this is the desired behavior, you will need to configure the system to permit multiple simultaneous logins per user. I believe that a setting of zero permits an unlimited number of simultaneous logins under the same user name.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

First check for the basic connectivity issues. Create a lobby -admin account and configure the users whom you want to let in.

Are the two users logging in with the same credentials (username & password)? If so, and this is the desired behavior, you will need to configure the system to permit multiple simultaneous logins per user. I believe that a setting of zero permits an unlimited number of simultaneous logins under the same user name.

Our problem is solved. When the contractor installed our wireless network, he left it set up so that only 3 users can log onto the guest account at a time. Once I discovered how to change that feature, I set it to unlimited and it's working like a charm. Thanks so much!

I don't know if you are still looking for additions to your guest wireless system but I have put together

some simple PHP code that helps automate the guest user creation.  Find the code here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/simple-swag/

The original intention of the code was a simple way for administrators to provide simple Lobby Ambassidor like function to a simple web interface and then provide customized guest user instruction page.  In the background it uses ssh to talk to the controller and setup the account. Its written in PHP so feel free to try your hand at it.

thanks for the swag solution..  we considered it for a bit but we don't ask guests to register with anyone.. pretty much they agree to our terms and we let them in after logging information about them.

question tho.. it seems you put a time limit of 1 hour on the guest account.  This means that you only allow your guests one hour of time and then they need to get a new login?  That is the behavior we have observed when setting a time limit on these temporary accounts.

Finally.  there is a SNMP method that can do this too, but I agree it might be easier to use SSH session.

Brad

Brad,

There is a time limit on the command that gets passed to the controller, but the account should not get deleted for twelve (12) hours.  At least that is the behavior on version 5.01 of a WLC 4402.  In the scripts folder and the file swagmeat.php on line 157 it passes this command to the controller:

"config netuser add $wuser $wpass wlan 1 userType guest lifetime 43200 description $firstname.$lastname"

It inserts the username and password that is determined by the progrom so you could change this to be generated from the user input your are already collecting.  If you wish to create a more perminant account you can change the lifetime to 0 which should mean unlimited.  The command should then look like this:

"config netuser add test test wlan 1 userType guest lifetime 0 description test"

Try testing it via ssh and then modify the file when you have a working command for your controller.

Happy Coding!

Nickle

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card