Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN controller 5508 Design Strategy

jahanzaib amin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

I would like to discuss the design strategy for a WL controller 5508. The Controller is on the main site and working with 120 APs. There is another new branch Site with 15 APs (AIR-CAP26021-E-K9) and Banach Site is connected with the main site with 2 different Links (Radio Link and Private VPN with 40 MBPS.

On the branch there is main Core Switch is 4500 and plan is to create a DHCP pool on the Core for New 15APs.

I would like to know that is this necessary to be controller and APs in same IP Range or we can use the different IP Range as mention above?

Thanks,

JH

5 Replies 5

No, Controller & AP can be in two different subnet.

That is one of the best practice I follow. It will help to reduce unnecessary broadcast messages hitting WLC. In this method you have to use DHCP option 43 or DNS method to discover WLC to APs.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Dear,

Thanks, So it mean I can leave the controller on current subnet in Main Site and install the APs on branch Site. But what about the Address Pool ? Must use the DHCP for address Pool for branch APs or can create the Pool in Core Switch (4500) for APs ?

Kindly mention the simplest strategy .

JH

If branch is having a L3 switch, I would define AP DHCP pool over there.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi,

So here will be steps:

1: Define Local DHCP Pool in L3Switch for APs with Following Commands:

ip dhcp pool <pool name>
network <IP Network> <Netmask>
default-router <Default router>
dns-server <DNS Server>

But I have a question that were we configure the Option 43 or 60? and Network Pool will be same as main Site controller Subnet or it is a Subnet Pool for Branch Site?

Thanks,
JH

Dear Manannalage,

Further we need to configure Flex connect group for the Remote APs. This Flex-connect mode should be only for Remote APs? and we need to upgrade the APs to use it in flex-Connect mode?

Kindly describe in detail.

Thanks,

JH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card