cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Live Audio STream blips every 7 seconds

aeccles
Level 1
Level 1

I've got an environment made up of Nexus 9372, 3850s, a WLC 5508, and 3802i APs. We just added an high-end audio streaming device that broadcasts live audio over a UDP stream to an Android/iOS app. The "server appliance" end of the device is hardwired, the clients are wireless. There is no way to pick the stream up on anything other than the apps. Emulators don't work.

Here's the issue. The server streams the client devices can connect and hear the audio, but every 7 seconds there is a brief ( 1/8 second ) blip in the audio... like a quick drop out. This happens on every client and in sync - all of them get it at the exact same moment. The same thing happens with just one client device connected.  The data stream is small 140kbps.  I ran test on off hours with virtually no network traffic and the issue persisted.

I've tried everything I can think of on the wireless side... SSID with no encryption, with and without QoS, forcing to clients only 2.4 or 5. Moving to 2.4 was the only thing that had any impact. It made the drops more frequent but less rythmic - seemingly more chaotic

We have wireless voip clients that do not experience this, but part of the difference is that this audio broadcast is specifically meant to minimize delay from the source to the destination, so there is no buffer at all.

I realize there a massive lack of information here, but there would be so much to share if I tried to do it all. Does this 7 second pulse stand out to anyone? Is there beaconing or some other timed event on the WLC or APs that could cause this?  I believe I went through every single setting on the WLC to try and find a setting of 7 seconds (or close) but couldn't find anything.

WLC version is 8.3.150 (I have a few 1262s I'm trying to get rid of, but I believe this is the last version to still support them, so that's why I'm running it)

If there is a specific config that would be helpful to see, please let me know and I'll share it.

thanks!

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are better off opening up a TAC case because this is something that they will need you to collect a lot of data.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

And a wireless packet capture will help you to see exactly what is happening over the air at that moment.

No comment necessary on an audio streaming app that doesn't buffer <facepalm>

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I wonder if this is off-channel scanning or something similar. 

Can you run a wireshark on an affected client and check if it actually stops receiving data? (I assume the answer will be yes)

Please note, wireless is not built for buffer free UDP transfers, the radio has to stop from time to time to transmit data to you and listen if any other client would love to transmit any data. This time is very short normally though and I though it's also way more often. 

I assume you don't have the audio drops with a wired client?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card