cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless management interface configuration change at c9800

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Hi wireless management interface is assigned to vlan10. How can we change it to vlan 20? just create vlan 20 and assign the same ip address? Maybe we need to something else. Thank you

7 Replies 7

Ensure layer 2 vlan configured on 9800 & upstream switch. If you are changing just vlan, need to ensure switch side you shut down old vlan & reconfigure that under SVI vlan 20 as gateway.

On the 9800, define SVI for vlan 20 and configure the new IP. If you have default-route configured for old subnet gateway, you have to change it to new gateway IP address

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Tony Rosolek
Level 1
Level 1

Are you sure you can use same IP address in VLAN 10 and VLAN 20?

vlan 20
 name management
!
interface Vlan20
 description management
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
!
wireless management interface Vlan20

If you change the IP address/network you also need to adjust the gateway/default route, as already stated by Rasika. 

||| Please rate helpful posts. Thanks! |||

Thank you for your reply. After the change, the original message disappear under Configuration ----> Interface ----> Wireless.

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

I think my head is going to explode.  I have a lab controller problem.  192.168.1.208 is my c9800.  I want to create vlan 100 and have it be 192.168.100.x, and specifically, 192.168.1.208.  Problem is, how to I tell the WLC that the latter is the management IP address for the access points to join?  I trunked and can ping from the switch to both x.208 IP addresses.  But when I put an AP on vlan 100 with a dhcp segment, it gets an ip from the switch, but never joins the controller.  Almost as if the controller doesn't know that the vlan 100 ip address is the one I want it to use for the APs.  I'm totally confused here - I cannot figure out how to configure the controller to use a specific IP address as the AP management interface.  It is easy on all the old controllers, obviously.  What am I missing?

Hi

Run the command  "wireless management interface vlan 100"

AireOS controllers you can have multiple dynamic interfaces and if you want, you can specify them as AP Manager interfaces. In 9800 you do not have that. With 9800 you have single management SVI and that will become AP manager interface. Do not create multiple SVI on your 9800.

In your case if you want vlan 100 to be your WLC management (as you cannot have it as dedicated ap manager interface while WLC mgt is different SVI), then below is what you need.

interface Vlan100
ip address 192.168.100.x 255.255.255.0
!
wireless management interface Vlan100

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi

Add the command "wireless management interface vlan 20"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card