cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Site Survey - AirMagnet Channel difference?

dhellwig
Level 4
Level 4

When doing testing yesterday in the a new floor in a building, I changed the channel of the AP from 1 to 11 due to the fact that there were a couple of other devices I was seeing on channel 1 with the AirMagnet software. I immediately noticed that my range appeared to be much less than it had been. I assumed it was due to a lot of monitoring gear and sources of interference on the floor, and just adjusted my AP count and locations accordingly, and it was OK. Today when I went to another floor; I still had the AP on channel 11, and again the range seemed substandard, although this time on a floor where I didn't expect as much signal blocking, interference, etc. I then set the AP back to channel 1, and the range that the Aironet card saw was much improved. Then as a back check, I checked the range with the Cisco 7920 phone site suvey screen, and in a room that was getting around 17-19 SN ratio on channel 11, and around 30 on channel 1 (with the PC), the phone was consistently showing an RSSI of around 40 no matter which channel.

So in conclusion, it appears the Aironet card has a harder time picking up the signal on 11 vs 1. It must be the card since the phone seemed consistent no matter which channel. I didn't test channel 6, because the customer was with me and I didn't want to waste time trying to further isolate this problem. As a result, I am going to avoid surveying using channel 11.

So, has anyone else run into this problem? I'll try testing this elsewhere when I get a chance and post any additional findings...

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

My perception could be incorrect, but I guess the behaviour has something to do with laws of physics. Higher the frequency, lesser the range. Channel 1 is 2412 Mhz, verus ch 11 is 2467 Mhz. With increasing frequencies you will have lesser penetration or lesser range.

Velocity of an electromagnetic wave, c = f*lambda. f is the frequency, lambda is the wavelength (distance between two consecutive peaks of the wave) if the velocity is constant (which is the case for an electromagnetic wave, 3000,000,00 meters per sec). So wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency. Higher frequency lesser wavelength.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card